Sprinkles

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Be kind. Be kind.

We're having another cold snap... and when we get through this one, it will be sunny and in the high 60s again. I am counting the minutes till that happens. But today... today was cold. Stupid cold, stupid rain, stupid weather.

Our regular mailman is out sick this week, and the substitute mail-girl has been delivering the mail. She was delivering around Christmas time also, during the cold snaps we were having back then. Each time I saw her, she wasn't wearing a jacket or a coat... just a sweatshirt over a blouse. I didn't say anything to her... I wanted to ask her if she had a heavy coat to wear when the weather turned stupid.

I didn't want to embarrass her... so I just took the mail and smiled and told her to drive safely, and I kept giving her little gifts from the basket I'd filled with Christmas grab-bag presents. Week before last, the mail-girl left a beautiful thank-you card in my mailbox. They were just little gifts... and to read her words, you would think I'd given her everything on her 'wish list.'  As I read the hand-written card from that girl, I sat in my kitchen wishing that I'd asked her if she had a heavy coat.

This morning, I saw the mail car going up the road... I knew it had to be L, because the regular mail guy drives a truck, not a car.  I was determined to run outside and thank her for the card, and luckily, she had a package to deliver that didn't fit into our mailbox, so there she was... pulling into the driveway. Within seconds, I knew just what I had to do.

I went outside to meet L by the porch steps and she gave me the package... today was very cold and windy and rainy... and she was wearing a sweatshirt over a blouse... no jacket, no coat.  I was all bundled up and I was still cold, so I knew she just had to be uncomfortable. I asked her if she had a jacket in the car... she said no, she had been saving up to buy one "but something else always comes up."

That settled it for me... I asked her if she could take a minute away from her deliveries and step into the house, and she said okay.

While she shut off the car engine, I ran to the storage closet for a black leather coat with fur lining... I'd bought it a few years before we left Clear Lake and I haven't worn it since we moved here. I have other coats that I do wear... this girl didn't have a coat. I had that black coat in mind weeks ago, when I was wishing I'd offered it to her at Christmas time.

When I walked back into the kitchen, L was waiting for me out on the porch... I asked her to come inside, and told her that I didn't want to embarrass her, and I didn't mean to be nosy for asking about her lack of a coat..... "I would like to give you this, if you'd like to have it...."

She looked at that black leather coat with such bright eyes... "This is a blessing," she told me. She saw the soft black fur lining and she didn't know what to say.  "Try it on," is what I said... and she did... and she looked beautiful, as if that coat had been made just for her.  The coat has a hood, also lined with the fur, and she put that up and she just beamed, and we stood there in my kitchen and gave one another the biggest hug.  "A blessing, a blessing...." is what she kept telling me.  I told L that the coat looked better on her than it ever did on me, and she smiled.

I watched her walking out to her car in that pretty coat and the day didn't seem so dreary and damp and cold and wet.  Looking at L in her new coat just made the sun come out for a little bit. It was just the right thing to do, and my only regret is that I didn't do this weeks ago.

Be kind. Be kind. Be kind. I can hear my Aunt Dolly saying that over and over when we were all kids... Be kind.  Such an easy thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home