Sprinkles

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pecans, anyone?

I feel like I've been either picking pecans or shelling them for days and days... and that's exactly what I have been doing. Our trees have been filled with pecans this month, most of them huge, with easy-to-crack shells. I've been able to keep the pecan halves all in one piece as I slip them out of the shells, so it's gratifying to see a container filled with those pretty nuts. It's a mindless job... I stand at the kitchen counter and listen to the little TV as I work on the nuts. I've tried sitting down, but then I have to keep getting up as each teeny piece of the shell goes flying across the kitchen. (If I don't pick up those bits of shells right away, then our cat Sweet Pea will start playing hockey with the pieces and heaven knows where they'll end up.)

We're having our Halloween party on Friday night.... so inbetween everything else, I've been getting ready for that also. The dining room table is nearly ready, the table in the living room is all set.... the chairs are all arranged, as are the prizes and ribbons for the best costumes.  Tomorrow morning is cleaning, tomorrow afternoon is grocery shopping, tomorrow night is cooking..... and then the very last-minute things will be on Friday morning.

And then on Friday afternoon, don't bother me.... I'll be getting into costume, doing my hair, make-up, and nails, and relaxing with a book for a while so by the time the party starts, I will be as relaxed as if little elves were in the house all week taking care of everything for me.

Little elves... now that's a thought...... sort of like the 'country boy' in the "Princess Bride" movie who keeps saying "As you wish......"  (More 'flights of fancy and fantasy,' as my Aunt Edie would have said.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home