Sprinkles

Friday, September 05, 2014

Let the construction begin...

.... hopefully.

We had the first of four building contractors here at ten o'clock this morning, to give us an estimate for putting a new roof on the gazebo in the side yard.  That gazebo was built by the previous owner of this house, and while it looked beautiful, it didn't exactly hold up properly. When it started to sag at a very dangerous sloping level, we had handyman W tear down the roofing material and carry it away to the town dump.

That was three summers ago, and we've been off and on looking for a contractor to build us a new roof. We've had estimates all over the map, from a quick-slap of a roof for less than two thousand dollars to a Taj Mahal-style creation for eight thousand dollars. One thing leading to another, between either my husband's job or our traveling, the gazebo has been roof-less for the past three summers. (This is where I usually say "Give me a blessed break.")                                                                

When I first saw that gazebo, I had visions of sitting out there with a book in one hand and a glass of lemonade in the other, with one of the cats sitting on my lap. That vision disappeared when I realized just how many spiders, wasps, scorpions, and snakes are on this property at any given time.  Did I really want to share the gazebo with a potentially stinging scorpion or a slithering snake?  All summer long, I very rarely sit on the wrap-around porch for the same reasons.

But enough already.... I'm tired of looking out the kitchen window and seeing a roof-less gazebo. And I'm sure the neighbors who drive by here are also wondering why we haven't "seen to" that gazebo by now.  My husband finally came to the same conclusion, and he started collecting business cards from the local hardware store. I made four appointments to get estimates..... three today and one tomorrow.

The first team was here on time this morning (big plus) and they measured and talked and designed and drew a rough sketch of what was needed.  As soon as those two men started talking, I knew my husband liked them..... both construction guys talked slowly, softly, taking their time with the planning and the measurements.... my husband is the same way.

If it were up to me, I would have told this first crew to put us on their calendar and asked them to order the material and supplies they need.  My husband was pleased with these two guys, but of course is wanting to see what the other three contractors have to offer.

After three summers of not having a roof on that gazebo, and even if there had been a roof, I wouldn't have been sitting out there under it anyway........ I'm at the point now where I'd just like to tell a contractor "Put a roof on that damn thing and send me the bill."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home