Sprinkles

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy (Almost) Halloween!

Labor Day weekend in this house means that it's time to get out the boxes of Halloween decorations. And that's what I've been doing for most of the day.

Except for the larger decorations that come out at the beginning of October, the living room and dining room are screaming out "It's time for Halloween!" and the kitchen, breakfast room, and the foyer are merely whispering "It's too early for witches and pumpkins but here we are!"

I used to wait till the beginning of October to start decorating for Halloween, but then I quickly realized how an entire month can speed by in a heart-beat, so I decided that September 1st was Halloween decorating day.  We don't usually do anything for Labor Day anyway... holiday weekend crowds are not our cup of tea, so we stay close to home.

Every year when I unpack holiday decorations, I end up with a basket of things to bring to the antique shop. (Just who bought all those purple candlesticks and ghosts anyway?)  This week, my booth at the shop will be ready for Halloween.

And every year, I tell myself not to buy more Halloween decorations... but I know I'll find a carved black cat or a folk art witch or two along the way. More decorations to find just the perfect spot for, more things to pack away in the boxes, and then next year, more things to bring to the antique shop.

Miss C was hoping to find Halloween decorations for her little rented house at the yard sales next month. I told her to forget the yard sales and just come here and pick out whatever Halloween things she would like.

I have pumpkins and witches and black cats to spare and to share. (And if C would like the orange stray cat that's still hanging around our porch, she's welcome to him as well.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home