Sprinkles

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Can't sleep...

I think it's strange that when I wake up during the night and can't sleep, I don't reach for the book I'm reading.... I come into my sitting room and turn on the laptop and start typing.

So many things keeping me awake tonight..... wasps all over the yard, first of all. No matter how many nests my husband sprays and knocks down, there's always more wasps flying around and either looking for the nests that were destroyed, or they're looking for a good spot to build more nests.  Before I could get into my car this afternoon, I had to spray some wasps that were flying in the garage.

Lots of lizards in the yard these days.  I see them running on the courtyard stones or racing across the driveway, and into the flowerbeds they disappear.  I don't mind the lizards (which surprises me to no end) but after the lizards run into the flowerbeds, I can hear all these rustling noises, which makes me think the lizards have been captured by a snake hiding in the mulch. Needless to say, I don't get too close to the flowerbeds.  I haven't done much of anything in the garden this year. After all the re-planting and re-mulching that I did last year, only to have so many plants freeze during the ridiculously cold winter we had, I have no interest in 'making nice' out there in the flowerbeds. Not to mention the fact that there are just too many wasps and bees this year.

The orange cat is still around.... he's been here since December, I think.  We've tried everything, even not feeding him, but still, he stays around the yard, either on the porch or under the cottage or inside the barn. He has chosen our property, and we can't convince him otherwise.  Being that we have two outside cats (who are tolerating him) and one inside cat who stares at him from the windows, that orange cat must feel he belongs here.  We don't pet him, because he's quick to scratch, and there's no way we can trap him and get him to the shelter because he's smart enough to stay away from the catch/release cage.

I've been awake for a couple of hours now.... it's 2:00 in the morning as I'm typing. I haven't heard the sound of the train whistle since before midnight. I can tell you for sure that as soon as I get back into bed and start to fall asleep, that train is going to go along the tracks in the next town and I'm going to hear that whistle loud and clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home