Sprinkles

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Yesterday's wedding... today's stray dog.

These Royal Weddings can wear one out... getting up at 2:00 in the morning to watch not only the ceremony, but to see all the guests walking into Westminister Abbey. All those hats! The British take their hats very seriously, and the Prime Minister's wife will be remembered because she did not wear a hat. What was she thinking? Thank goodness they no longer say "Off with her head!"

The wedding was wonderful... Kate's gown was Grace-Kelly perfect... William was handsome in his uniform... the Queen looked too yellow in her outfit (someone should tell her that blue suits her best)... and along with Fergie not being invited, they should have scratched out her two daughters from the guest list (both looked like they were going to a Sweet 16 lawn party).

All of the networks had coverage of the wedding, but I watched CNN mostly, for the simple reason that Anderson Cooper told the other announcers "We should all just watch and listen and enjoy." I just wanted to watch the ceremony and listen to the music, not the pitter-patter of the announcers. I went thru a few tissues as Kate and her father made their way up the aisle... that part of a wedding always gets to me.

I told my cousin F that maybe Prince Harry would fall head-over-heels for Kate's sister Pippa... and then we could have another Royal Wedding. With all of Harry's previous escapades (some of which I'm sure he regrets) he needs a nice girl to just settle down with.... and his current blonde girlfriend with her hair pulled back into a messy little bun and pinned up under a hat is just not going to meet the Queen's expectations.

Hats off to the British... no one can match them with pomp and ceremony and things-done-right.

Yesterday afternoon, I happened to see a stray dog in the neighbor's driveway. I knew it was a stray, because they don't have a dog, and we already know all the pets and livestock around here. I drove over to the neighbor's and got her chickens into her coop, but the dog ran off and I didn't see it again. Our up-the-road neighbor J saw the same dog yesterday morning, but couldn't catch him. Just what we all needed... a lost and hungry dog roaming around the property with our cats and chickens.

This morning, that same dog was in our yard under the pecan trees. It looked like he was munching on the nuts, poor thing. I quickly got some cat food and went out there, shaking the bowl so the dry food would make a rattling sound to get the dog's attention.

Nothing wrong with this dog's hearing... he came right over to me, very slowly, and then laid down on the grass and immediately turned over so his belly and paws were up in the air. He's so thin that I could just about count his ribs.

Six cans of Friskies cat food later, the dog and I are very good friends. He's a male, a dark rusty-brown with some black markings, not fixed, and very friendly. He followed me to the coop and back, not bothering with the chickens, and not even interested in them at all. He made friends with my husband, and now he's sleeping on the back porch with one eye on the back door, waiting for us to come out there again.

I've called the local animal shelter-- they're only open from Monday thru Friday. No weekend hours? How can that be?

It looks like we'll be feeding William from now till Monday, and then we'll take him to the shelter. We're not keeping him. We really don't want a dog. But I had to call him something, other than 'the dog' or 'here boy.' So I've named him Prince William, William or Wills for short, and he seems to like the name. He also seems to like the Friskies cat food, but I guess when you're as hungry as he was, you're not going to mind if there's a picture of a cat on the label.

As for the cats... they're all in the TV room, watching William thru the screen door. None of the cats are interested in going outside today, with William sitting there on the porch. Oh goodie-- I now have one more reason to keep the cats in the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home