Sprinkles

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sounds of Spring...

The birds are singing, the chickens are making sweet coo-ing noises, and the cows on the other side of the hill are crying and moaning. Those sounds are painful to hear. The other night, just before it got dark, two trailers went down the road across from the neighbor's field.

The trucks pulling the trailers were going very slow, so I knew that they had livestock in the back. I tried not to look too closely, which was easy... that road is at the base of our hill so unless you're looking through the binoculars, you really can't tell what they're hauling in those trailers.

By yesterday morning, however, we knew what was in the trailers that left the night before-- calves. For most of yesterday and today, we heard the mama cows calling for their calves. Such a low and mournful moo-ing moaning sound... it just breaks your heart. The moaning sounds went from one side of the hill to the other as the cows searched all corners of the pastures for their babies. My husband said that if you listen to that enough times, you may want to reconsider eating hamburgers. I don't have to reconsider anything... I don't eat meat.

The quail are still walking around our yard. They must have a nest somewhere, and so far, the cats haven't found it-- or they have found it but have chosen not to bother the quail. The chickens don't seem to mind sharing the property with the quail, either, because I've seen both the quail and the chickens walking around the same parts of the yard at the same time.

I haven't seen the neighbor with the goats...... and I haven't seen the brown goat with the white spots-- the one that kept getting stuck in the fence. My guess is that goat is already history. Enough said.

My cousin F eMailed me a photo of the little Pomeranian puppy that her daughter C is buying from a New Jersey breeder. I've seen countless puppy photos along the way, but this little one is absolutely the cutest dog. He looks like a little teddy-bear, with such a happy expression on his face in the pictures. Almost makes me want to go out and get a puppy. Almost. Almost.

The puppy-phase is not my most favorite part of having a dog. The puppy-crate, the house-training, the puppy-chewing. And no matter how much a dog is trained, their little doggy-brains are the equivalent of a two-year-old child. So you've got a two year old in the house, for as long as you have that dog. Granted, a very well-trained two-yr-old, but a two-yr-old nonetheless.

Oh well, I will get my puppy-fix from looking at the photos of C's little dog. My cousin F asked me and my friends for name suggestions........ so far, we've come up with a very 'southern' list of names: Precious, Beau Brummel, Butterscotch. I also suggested Barry Manilow, but my cousin said that name wouldn't make the short list. Well, if they want a New York sort of name, how more New York-ish can you get than Manilow?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home