Sprinkles

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Open House.

This past Saturday afternoon, we had the Open House party for friends and neighbors and my husband's co-workers. Nearly 35 people came for an 'Ice Cream & Dessert Social' and the dining room table was filled with cakes and pies, brownies and ice cream, and fresh fuits.

At any given time during the afternoon, there were more people standing around my kitchen instead of relaxing in the dining room and living room. A comfy sofa, plush chairs, and still more chairs-- enough for everyone, and then some. But every time I went into the kitchen, there they all were, deep in conversations and seemingly very comfortable standing up.

The cakes and brownies that I baked were a hit.... but of course I made too much. And the pies from Royer's Cafe-- always delicious, but we bought one too many. When we said goodbye to the last guest, into the freezer went all of the brownies and two of the pies. I told my husband that I wouldn't be baking any sort of dessert until everything in the freezer was gone. Our neighbors can expect to have pies and brownies when they stop by.

Everyone left with a little bag of Easter chocolates tied up with a pretty ribbon. Such a little thing, those party favors, and the smiles on everyone's faces just made the day. I've been doing that for years... party favors were my Aunt Dolly's speciality when I was a kid, so every smile given for one of our favors is like giving extra smiles to my Aunt Dolly.

As always at our parties, when there are so many people, you just aren't able to spend as much time with everyone as you'd like to. We had friends from Clear Lake here and the time with them was much too short but very sweet, and spread out during the afternoon. No sooner did I get to sit down and chat for a few minutes, and someone new would come to the door and I had to get up.

We had expected the fields to be filled with a carpet of blue and yellow wildflowers, but due to the lack of rain (not a drop since early January) the fields have turned green but the wildflower patches are sparse. That was a disappointment to us and to our friends, but what can you do? The rain gods have not been kind to this part of the state, and the entire county, known for its bluebonnet trails, is just lacking in local color this Spring.

We did have very pretty weather this weekend, though.... very sunny, hot without broiling, but it was too windy for anyone to sit outside at the tables and chairs on the porches and decks. My husband took small groups for walks around the property, showing them his vegetable garden of corn, tomatoes, and eggplant, and walking them around the rose bushes, showing them all the work he and the handyman have done to brighten-up the trim paint on the house and the cottage.

Everyone loved "The Coopacabana" and I was surprised to learn that a few of my husband's co-workers not only knew who Barry Manilow was, but they liked his music as well. I'm always surprised to meet Manilow fans in this state. I know they're out there, but they're quiet about it, being surrounded by a multitude of country-music lovers.

We've been eating leftovers all weekend, so tomorrow it's back to reality: cooking. Also back to laundry. Kitchen towels and tableclothes have multiplied in my laundry room, and tomorrow's the day to make them all disappear.

I wish I could make all those chocolate brownies disappear. My cousin F told me that Rule #1 is that you can never have 'too many' brownies. I should have wrapped up some brownies and given them to our guests along with the cute little bags of Easter candy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home