Sprinkles

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Another week ending....

... another week beginning. March is going to be over in a heart-beat.

We saw a young quail out on the lawn today. It wasn't a baby-baby, but it didn't look full grown, either. Our across-the-road neighbor told us last night that she had seen a whole family of quail in her yard last week, so I'm wondering if the quail in our yard got separated from its group. I've never seen just one quail by itself...... and the only time I've ever seen quail at all was out in Arizona at my uncle's house.

We played cards last night at J & J's...... didn't keep score, just a friendly game. Aren't they all? I think keeping score is a must, though. When you know your score is going to be counted up at the end of the hand, you're less apt to keep the higher cards and the wild cards. J is hooked on the game 'Shanghai' and will play it any time, any where, whether the score is kept or not. So J supplied the cards, I brought chocolate brownies. J was in Shanghai/chocolate heaven.

Today was grocery-shopping day. I don't usually do that on a Sunday, but I just kept putting it off all week, and today was just the day to go-- not a piece of fruit in the house, not a leaf of lettuce for a salad. So off we went for groceries, after having lunch at the little airport out in the middle of no-where. During the drive there, we saw little patches of bluebonnets and wild daisies....... within a few weeks, everything should be bursting into bloom here. Blues and reds, yellows and pink, and purples tossed into the mix as well. At last count, we have 37 varieties of wildflowers on our property. Maybe I'll find some new ones this year.... time to get out the Texas wildflower book.

My husband and I walked around to the bluebird houses on our property yesterday-- he keeps track of the number of nests and eggs in each box. So far this season, there are 25 tiny bluebird eggs in the boxes (ten boxes in all). If all those eggs hatch successfully, we'll have scores of tiny bluebirds learning how to fly in our fields. When the baby birds start coming out to test their wings, I will keep the cats inside to give the babies one less thing to worry about. My husband has the bluebird houses all rigged up so snakes can't get into the boxes and eat the eggs and/or fledglings.

We haven't seen a snake in the longest time, but that doesn't mean they're not out there hiding in the fields. Along with every other creature and critter that the Nature gods have scattered in these hills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home