Sprinkles

Friday, March 21, 2008

What color would you like your egg?

I've been eating the hard-boiled eggs that Miss C helped us decorate after we took her out for her birthday dinner. Every morning, I pick out a pink or blue-shelled egg, or a purple one, or a striped one....... and I have that with a slice of the Irish soda bread (from our St. Patty's party), along with a cup of tea. The little chicken egg-slicer has been doing a fine job in giving me nice little rounds of hard boiled eggs. Not my usual oatmeal, but just as nice, and I hope it's not too many more calories than the little bowl of oatmeal.

I have to say that opening up the fridge and looking at that bowl of brightly colored eggs makes me smile every morning. Being that C had told us that "coloring eggs would be a good thing to do on a rainy day," I kept that in mind when I did the grocery shopping this afternoon.

I bought two packages of food coloring.... the usual box of the primary colors (red, green, yellow, blue) that they've offered for years, along with a box of new "neon" colors-- hot pink, lime green, peacock blue, and bright purple. I also remembered to get a small bottle of white vinegar. (Can't forget that again--- my next-door neighbor would never let me live that down more than once.) Those are all now tucked away in my pantry closet, for the next rainy day. Or maybe even a sunny day, when these colored eggs are gone and I need another bowl of bright eggs to make the inside of the fridge more interesting.

After all, is there a rule that says you can only color eggs the week before Easter?

Speaking of Miss C... she is up north now, visiting her aunt and uncle. They sent her an airline ticket so she could visit with them for a few days of this week's Spring Break. The phone rang early this morning, and it was C, calling to say hello, telling me that she got up before everyone else and was trying not to make too much noise until her aunt and uncle woke up. She told me that she had packed her little chicken egg slicer in her suitcase-- she was going to make hard boiled eggs for her aunt and uncle, and use the cute little chicken to slice them. She was excited about this trip-- the first time she would be flying on a plane without either one of her parents.

As we were talking, I heard her saying "Good morning" to her uncle, who had just walked into the kitchen. I told C to remember the telephone manners that I insist on in our house-- and suggested that she say good-bye to me, being that her uncle was awake. (She knows that I can't stand when people talk and talk and talk on a phone while there are other people in the same room.) I told her to have a good time, and I said I miss you! To which, C replied with her usual I miss you more! She does that also when I say "I love you!".... I love you more!

When C goes off to college, there will be four adults missing her... her parents, and us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home