Sprinkles

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

As the bird defrosts.....

The turkey is in the fridge, waiting to come out of its plastic wrapping and be set into the oven tomorrow morning. Yuck. It's the worst part of my Thanksgiving-- having to cook that silly bird. There was a great commercial on TV the other night-- so funny that I laughed out loud.

This woman is her kitchen, rinsing out the turkey in her sink..... beautiful kitchen, window over the sink, pretty view out into the backyard. The turkey is rinsed, and she's trying to get the huge, cold, slippery bird out of the sink and into the pan. The turkey keeps slipping back into the sink, then it slips onto the floor. She finally gets it up off the floor and into her arms. Instead of putting it back into the sink to rinse it off again, she throws it right through that beautiful kitchen window...... the bird crashes through the glass and hits her husband right in the back of his head as he's calmly watering the lawn. WHAM! And down he goes, turkey and all.

I laughed so hard that I didn't get to see who made the commercial, but I've since found out that it was an advertisement for Boston Market-- instead of cooking the turkey yourself, just order everything from Boston Market, according to the commercial. Well, yuck to that as well. My apologies to Boston Market, but I'd rather just fuss with that silly bird myself. If Boston Market puts any more salt and sugar and grease into their foods, we can probably use it to preserve fossils.

My husband is in the kitchen now, boiling potatoes for his famous mashed potatoes. He'll make them today, and then I'll re-heat them in the oven tomorrow. Same with the stuffing--- he's going to make oyster dressing tonight, and I will bake that tomorrow. We never put the dressing into the turkey..... that is just a gross idea, in my humble opinion. Bad enough that I have to wash out that bird.... I don't want to have to shove dressing into it before it goes into the oven, then spoon dressing out of it after it's cooked.

Young Miss C is coming over this afternoon to help me bake the pumpkin pie. Actually, we'll do what we did last year..... I let her do all the mixing and preparing-- I just stood there and gave her instructions, so she could honestly say that she made the pumpkin pie herself. We're not doing an apple pie this time, because our friends K & B are bringing their homemade pecan pie, plus my husband bought a mincemeat pie from a downtown bakery. Three desserts are quite enough for eight people. Our other friends are bringing all the "side dishes"-- homemade cranberry-apple compote, stuffed acorn squash, sweet potato casserole, tossed green vegetable salad.

Turkey day. Here again so quickly. I am definitely not ready for this holiday to be here, but you can't tell that by the looks of my dining room. The table is already set and it looks beautiful, if I do say so myself. As always, my favorite part of a dinner party is dressing up the table. Honestly.... how could I even think of putting Boston Market food onto a table that looks as pretty as mine?

So tomorrow morning, I will be at my kitchen sink, rinsing out that silly bird. There's a window right over my kitchen sink, which overlooks the backyard. I shall have to tell my husband not to go out there and start watering the lawn tomorrow morning. I wouldn't want to have to repeat that television commercial, no matter how hard it makes me laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home