Sprinkles

Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Pajama Box

That's what the staff of the children's department of our local library is calling the large plastic bin that is now featured by their Information Desk of the Children's Section-- The Pajama Box.

I went to the library this afternoon to speak to the director. I showed her the Houston Chapter web-pages of the Pajama Program, and asked if the library would like to sponsor a Pajama Drive. She was very interested, and very enthusiastic... and suggested to the children's department that they collect pajamas from now till their summer story-times end in late August. That's more than I had hoped for, and this could mean a large number of pajamas coming in for the rest of the summer months. But, as I told the director... this isn't a contest--- whether they collect five, or fifteen, or fifty--- every single pajama set counts.

But... what do we put the pajamas in? Not a problem, said I. The library isn't that far from where we live so I just drove back home and got one of my large plastic bins and put the Pajama Program stickers on it, along with photos of some of the children that have received pajamas. My husband was at home, inbetween meetings at work, and he quickly printed up a batch of flyers for the library to hand out to the story-time moms who bring their kids to the summer reading programs.

I am hoping that some (or many) of those moms had seen the Oprah show which featured the founder of the Pajama Program.... and even if they didn't, well then I just hope that they will get into the pajama-spirit and want to add some pajamas to that Pajama Box in the library. I brought my husband's camera back to the library and took a photo of the children's staff, along with the Pajama Box and one pajama set that I put into the box so it wouldn't be empty. I will send the photo to the NY office of the Pajama Program so it can be added to our Houston web-page. I intend to keep that web-page updated so anyone clicking on the Houston Chapter will know what we're up to and where they can bring pajamas for our kids.

The best part-- for the last summer story-time reading in late August, the children's staff will have a Pajama Party-- they will ask all the kids to wear their pajamas to the story hour, and tell them they have one last chance to bring more pajamas to add to the Pajama Box. It goes without saying that I hope this will be successful and fun, and teach the story-time kids that giving is as much fun as getting. Needless to say, the rest of the library staff will no doubt get into the pajama-spirit as well, and they will also be adding pajamas to the Pajama Box during the summer. I'm hoping that this summer-time pajama collection will be a yearly event at our library.

While I was at the post office this morning (mailing a box of children's books to one of the Houston shelters), I spoke to one of the clerks there and told her what I'm doing for the Pajama Program. She took one of my flyers and she plans to ask the staff of the post office to bring in some pajama sets for Houston kids, and she will ask her own church Sunday-school group to start collecting pajamas as well. When she calls me to come to the post office to pick up the pajamas that they've collected, I will bring the camera to take a picture of all of them and post their photo on the web-page as well.

The numbers keep growing... as of today, the Houston Chapter is up to 338 pajamas, 354 books. From the beginning, I've had more books than pajamas. With the help from the library this summer, maybe that will change. I've said this isn't a contest, but I do have to keep track of the numbers... I have to send those numbers to the NY office every month so they can keep a record of how many pajamas and books are collected and distributed.

The library director asked me how long I would be collecting pajamas and books for the kids in the Houston shelters. For as long as there's a need, was my answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home