Sprinkles

Friday, May 18, 2007

Pajama Box #2

Our friend J, who owns the antique shop in League City, now has a Pajama Box on the front desk of the shop. He had asked me if he could collect pajamas and books for me, and he's already told most of his dealers and customers about the Houston Chapter of the Pajama Program. I gave him a little time to set up his own box, but then I just went to Target and bought some of those clear plastic bins that are so good for keeping the pajama donations nice and fresh.

I decorated the box for J's shop with the Pajama Program stickers and logo, along with photos of some of the children who have received pajamas and books through the program. Just like at the Clear Lake Library yesterday, I had the camera with me to photograph J and L at the shop--- J holding the box itself, and L holding the first pair of pajamas for the box. J will keep the box there for as long as I want it, and I told him that's going to be for a long, long time. I've already sent the photo to the NY office so it can be posted to the Houston web-page.

While I was in League City, I also stopped into the library there, to see if their Children's Department would want to display a box for collecting pajamas, as the library here in Clear Lake is doing. The children's librarian there thought it was a great idea, but she has to get permission from The Powers That Be. I understand how that goes in the library-world, so she will get back to me next week. The librarian was also good enough to give me a contact here in Clear Lake who might be interested in having one or more church groups sponsor a pajama-collection event.

Pajamas here, pajamas there.... they all add up. The UPS truck stopped at our house today and delivered the clearance-price pajamas that I had ordered from Disney. All these cute pajama sets, for under $3.00 each, with free shipping.... amazing. Into my own pajama boxes they went, soon to be distributed to the shelters and agencies here and up in Livingston.


Young Miss C was with me for all of this afternoon's errands. I picked her up from school at noon... she has half-days now, until school closes next week. We stopped at Half Price Books on the way home from League City, and they had more books for me to sort through, plus I bought some of their bookmarks and notepads to give to the staff at the library-- my own little thank-you to each of them for collecting the pajamas.

The Pajama Box..... I like the sound of that, but I can't take credit for it. One of the clerks in the children's department of the Clear Lake Library came up with that as soon as she saw me walking in with the plastic bin. So now we have two Pajama Boxes, both in different towns. Hopefully, there will be more. And, more importantly, the boxes will be filled to the top (or nearly!) when I check on them every week.... my plan is to take out all the pajamas except for the top two, so the boxes will never be empty.

Nearly midnight as I'm typing here....... I really need to get some sleep. Maybe I should try counting pajamas instead of sheep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home