Sprinkles

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

"The Road"

Just finished reading the latest Oprah book... The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I started reading it last night and couldn't put it down till I felt myself falling asleep on my pillow. As soon as I started reading this, I didn't think I would like it.... not exactly written in the traditional way that I'm used to.

But Oprah had said that.... and she suggested everyone just stick with it. And she was right, of course.... by the time you got a few pages into it, you just forgot about the writing style and you were into the story. So much into the story this afternoon that I had to get up and put a sweater on because I actually felt the raw cold that the author was writing about.

Powerful book...... simply written... an idea so simply told that it doesn't take much for your imagination to see the world as the book describes it. And how terribly sad, should this fictionalized account of a post-nuclear world ever come to be. And it could, very easily, which is also such a sad thing.

People. Mankind. Countries. Nations. Continents. Presidents. Rulers. Dictators. The Powers That Be. Will we ever learn? We're all sharing this one small planet. It's not as big as we all think it is. Its resources aren't without limits. For everything we invent to use during our time on this planet, we destroy some of our resources. And if resources aren't disturbed in the making of our conveniences, then our resources are compromised in the end of the item's usefulness.

It's a beautiful day here. Warm, sunny, and green. Blessedly, thankfully, miraculously green. After reading The Road, I feel like I should go outside in my yard and hug a tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home