Sprinkles

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter Sunday

Everything is set for our late lunch/early dinner Easter get-together with C and her parents. Even with just the five of us, I fussed over that table and the centerpiece...... C looks at every little detail and she remembers everything from one holiday to the next.

I used a vanity mirror for the centerpiece, and filled it with green Easter grass.... then arranged my little porcelain bunnies, chicks and eggs in the grass, along with little cups of candy and jelly beans that are just below the grass-line so only the candy shows. There are silk butterflies hovering over the arrangement, attached to thin wires stuck into the grass. I also made the cutest candle holders.... pink candles set into glass votives, which are set into stemmed custard cups filled with jelly beans. Those are just too cute. (Sandra Lee of "Semi-Homemade" would be so proud.)

The place cards have those fuzzy yellow chicks attached to them, and I sprinkled a few pastel colored Lifesavers near each place card. The Lifesavers are individually wrapped in plastic... I had used them to fill up Easter baskets and wish I had saved more for the table, but there's just enough without going overboard. (Overbunny?)

My husband bought Miss C two books on the College SAT tests, so she can get prepared for all of that..... she's in the 10th grade now, and next year will be an important college-planning time for her. He also bought her a bunch of baseball cards, which are hidden all over the house, along with clues to finding them tucked into plastic Easter eggs. She loves all these games he makes up for her, so we plan to do that between dinner and dessert this afternoon. (Who says that you need 30 people for a fun party?)


I've been planning and thinking about my Houston Chapter of "The Pajama Program" since I was accepted as President the other day. I've started a notebook, because I keep coming up with one idea after the other and I don't want to forget anything. I've already got two possible locations in mind for our Pajama Program Reading Center... two storefronts in two separate shopping centers.... both busy centers but the two stores I'm thinking of have been empty for a few years. Surely the owners of those properties would want to consider donating the space to our Reading Center--- they'd get a tax write-off, and (more importantly) they'd be doing something for the kids in this community.

So that's on my to-do list for tomorrow..... going to both places and getting the phone numbers from the "For Lease" signs on those storefronts. After I find a location (and I know I will), then I will go to Lowe's or Home Depot and see if I can get supplies donated...... then find volunteers to paint and furnish the Reading Center... and young Miss C gave me the perfect place to go to for furniture donations. I wrote all of her ideas down as well.... she is jumping out of her shoes over this project, but hasn't told her parents yet. She wanted to keep it a surprise till this afternoon's dinner because she said it would be the perfect topic for today's dinner-table conversation. What a great kid.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home