Sprinkles

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Morning Mystery

We didn't open our front door today till noon-time, being that I was going in and out of the back door this morning, and I had brought Gracie out into the backyard early this morning. Actually, I did open the front door to pay the gardener at nine o'clock, and everything was "normal" on the front porch. But later on, when my husband went out the front door after lunch to take Gracie for her walk, we found a small vintage-looking wooden ironing board on the front porch. It was all set up, as if it were ready to be used. Very small, either a child's size, or a collectible-sized display piece.

Very cute...... but we don't know who left it there for us. We asked our immediate neighbors, thinking that they were giving it to us to bring to the cottage, since it would make a cute little accent in a country kitchen or a laundry room. I also called our around-the-corner neighbor V, because she recently gave me some pottery bowls to bring up to the cottage.... but she didn't leave it there for us, although she said she wished she had.

The last person I asked was our neighbor ML who's directly across the street from us. She had also given us some furniture to bring up to the cottage, and I thought maybe she had left it there for us. But no... it wasn't from her either. ML did see "some sort of vehicle" in front of our house around 11:00 this morning, and she did see "either a gray-haired or a blonde woman" walking up towards our front porch. ML didn't notice if she had been holding this wooden ironing board, and for the life of her, she can't remember what type of vehicle she was driving. ML was busy taking care of her two-year-old grandson this morning, so she was too busy with the baby to be noticing details. Around 11:00 this morning, I was in the kitchen making a sweet potato casserole for tomorrow, and my husband was in his computer room. No one rang the bell, and Gracie didn't bark.

Our around-the-corner neighbor V told us that there's a "thing" going on in some of the subdivisions lately, where a friend or neighbor will leave a surprise on someone's front porch.... just put something there without ringing the bell or telling the person they were going to be the recipient of a gift. Which is what happened to us, but we hadn't heard of this surprise-gift thing yet, but obviously, someone we know has.... and maybe that's how we got that darling little ironing board this morning.

It's still a mystery.... try as we might, we can't think of who would've left it. I did think it might have been one of our neighbors who moved away a few years ago. She always used to tell me I was out of my mind for ironing so much.... but she's been gone for years now, and I think if she had taken the time to drive all the way over here from Pearland, she would've taken the time to ring the bell and say hello. Right now, the little ironing board is in the corner of my sitting room, along with some other things that we'll take up to Mayberry the next time we go.

I will put the little ironing board in the laundry room of the cottage... it will look cute there, I'm sure, and maybe one day we'll find out who left it on the porch for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home