Sprinkles

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"A blustery day........"

That's what the weatherman said on this morning's news-- that today would be a blustery day. It's a little bit windy, and the temperature isn't going to get any higher than 75 degrees, but the word "blustery" reminds me of winter days in New York with 40-degree temperatures. I guess the definition of blustery depends on where you're living.

It's sunny and bright outside, and even with the winds, which remind me of the tropical winds in Hawaii, this is a gorgeous blue-sky morning.

I spent some time looking at Christmas party favors that we had left over from last year's Open House party. I have enough favors, for both men & women & teenagers, so that if we decided to invite some friends over after we put up the big tree, I don't have to run out and search for anything. I was thinking of maybe having a coffee and dessert party... I could bake some cookies and pies, and ask our friends to bring some cookies..... maybe a cookie exchange party. I'll see.... it's just an idea. When I think of all the work and planning that goes into having 60 people here for an Open House, it just boggles my mind. The only way I did that for all those years was to start the planning in August.

I've already made the placecards for Thanksgiving, and even the ones for Christmas dinner are all done and waiting in my holiday closet. So far, we've invited young Miss C and her parents for Christmas Day. My husband and I still have to decide if we want to ask anyone else to join us. Our friend J came here for dinner with us all last Christmas, but this year he'll be with his brother and his friend, who recently moved here from Georgia. J brought his brother along to our Halloween party.... I hadn't met his brother before, and I didn't know he was coming. The more the merrier, when it comes to the Charades parties, as far as I'm concerned. J is a little bit scattered at times, so it didn't really surprise me when he showed up with an extra person. It worked out that I had an extra party-gift bag for him because one of our friends had to cancel at the last minute because of a sick child...... so I quickly put J's brother's name on the gift-bag and he was surprised at the end of the night when I gave it to him. (Note to self: for all parties, make an extra gift bag or two, just in case.)

I spoke to my cousin R this morning.... when she picked up the phone, I told her "I'm still waiting at the airport! Where are you?" --She had called me two weeks before our Halloween party and asked if she could fly down here for the Election Day/Veteran's Day holidays. Of course I said yes, but I didn't get anything prepared for her because she didn't give me a definite time and date. She said this morning that she just couldn't get everything together in such a short time. Two weeks? But that's just my cousin.... just a little slow to make arrangements, and it takes her forever to pack a suitcase. One of these days, she'll get down here again. And really, the best time for her to come down here is when my husband has a conference somewhere. My NY cousin is just a very high-maintenance type of girl and that would get my husband just a little bit nuts.

I need to call my Aunt Dolly, and my dad.... and wish them a Happy Thanksgiving. I know my dad would like to be in NY instead of New Jersey, but there's no way he can get there to my Aunt Dolly's house. Why on earth he moved to New Jersey is just beyond me, and I know he's sorry that he did, even though he won't admit it. But that's where he is, and that's where he will probably be for the rest of his days.

This week seems like the calm before the storm, as the saying goes. Everything that I can get ready for Thanksgiving has already been done, and until we go grocery shopping on Monday, Thanksgiving is just sort of on hold for now. Miss C will be here on Tuesday and Wednesday, and we'll be baking pies.... or maybe we should just do both of them in one day, which would actually make it easier. That way, my husband could have the kitchen on Wednesday to put his stuffing together. He'll either do his Greek stuffing or the oyster stuffing. I'd rather have the oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving, and the Greek one for Christmas--- save the best for last! I shouldn't say that, though, because they're both really delicious.

And right after turkey-day, Christmas will be here in a heartbeat. Just like last year, just like every year. There should be a way to slow down time a bit.

I haven't mentioned my friend up in NY in quite a while here. Not because I haven't thought about her, but because I don't want to be typing her whole story in here--- for the simple reason that it's her story. She is constantly, constantly on my mind. There hasn't been much that I've done that hasn't made me wish she could be doing it also. She's been getting radiation treatments these past few weeks. Five days a week. I try to imagine what she's going through, how her body is responding, how her husband and sons are coping with this life-changing situation. I can't imagine. And if I think about it all too much, I start to cry. Life just isn't fair, and I wonder why that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home