Sprinkles

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

July 4th

The morning started off cloudy and humid....... then the sun came out for a while and the day looked promising. My husband and I walked around the local high school track, as has been our daily routine except on the days that we went to the garage sales.

We were all set to go up to Kroger for grocery shopping, and I noticed that the sky was getting darker and darker. "Should we go?" asked my husband. "Nah." said I. (Any excuse will do, for me not to go grocery shopping.) Ten minutes later, the sky opened up and it started raining. It's been raining since.

We had leftovers for lunch (from last night's dinner at L and S's-- spinach enchilladas), and we just had some microwave-popcorn while watching the World Cup Soccer match (Italy against Germany). My husband likes soccer...... I personally don't care for sports. Except for baseball. How can you not love baseball?

We may go grocery shopping later. We may not. I'm sure I have things in the freezer than can be defrosted for dinner. And there's always cans of tuna and cans of soup in the pantry. And in a pinch, I'd be delighted to have oatmeal for dinner....... anything will do, just to avoid grocery shopping for another day. I'm all out of eggs...... almost out of salad stuff... nearly out of fresh fruit. If we don't get to Kroger today, then I really have to get there tomorrow. (Unless it rains.)

Speaking of eggs...... I was going to make an apple/peach cobbler yesterday to bring to L and S's for dessert last night. Looking through my (vintage and truly reliable) "Fanny Farmer Cookbook," I saw that the cobbler recipes called for one egg. Well, I didn't have one egg.... so I got to thinking.... how could I make a dessert with baked apples and peaches without have to use an egg.

Brainstorm..... I had frozen fillo dough..... I sliced up the apples and peaches, added a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried blueberries, chopped pecans, and a bit of flour... mixed that all up and let it bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Then I lined the baking pan with fillo dough.... poured in the half-baked fruit mixture, then put more fillo dough on top. I cut the dessert into squares (as I do with Greek spinach pie), brushed it with a bit of butter and put it back into the oven to finish baking. Came out nice and crisp and smelled delicious. After dinner at L's, I popped the baking dish into her oven and we had a great dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home