Sprinkles

Monday, July 03, 2006

Rainy Days

The rainclouds that arrived yesterday have decided not to leave just yet...... we had a cloudy drippy day yesterday, and more of the same today. According to The Chronicle, it will be like this for the rest of the week. Oh goodie.

Young Miss C is at Girl Scout Camp this week..... she was looking forward to this week of camp because the main activity was to be wakeboarding, which she dearly loves. She's old enough to be a counselor this year, so she will be in charge of some of the younger campers as well. I don't know if they'll get any wakeboarding in, the weather being what it is, but I'm sure she'll have fun just the same.

C's mom called this morning to invite us over tonight... she's making her spinach enchilladas again and wanted to know if we wanted to join her and C's dad for dinner. L made those enchilladas a couple of weeks ago and they were delicious, so of course we said yes. We would've said yes no matter what was on the menu. The four of us have a good time together, and I think we're all missing C while she's away at camp.

L is making the enchilladas and a big tossed salad, and I said I'd bring something over for dessert. I was going to get the grocery shopping done today, but with the rain out there, I haven't been motivated to go out. I hate grocery shopping anyway, and the rain only makes a bad thing worse. I looked through my pantry closet and found a box of brownie mix, a box of chocolate cake mix, and some gourmet mixes for scones. Each of those calls for eggs, which I don't have because that's one of the items on my grocery list. I could borrow an egg from V next door, but I just hate to borrow things. I could run out to Kroger's just for a dozen eggs, but I don't want to do that either.

Back to the pantry closet and the fridge to see what in there...... I've got fresh apples and peaches, nuts, raisins, oatmeal, brown sugar........ all the ingredients I need for a cobbler. So that's what I'll make this afternoon. It will be better anyway, healthier than the boxed mixes.

Stupid rain. I know we need it..... there are parts of Texas that are positively drought-stricken. So much rain day after day is just depressing, that's all. And I shouldn't even complain, being that so many states up in the northeast are dealing with flood situations. I'm sure those people wouldn't mind going out grocery shopping in a little bit of rain.

AngelBoy has been hiding under the bed since breakfast this morning. That cat hates the rain, hates the thunder, and doesn't even appreciate the sound of rain on the porch roof. Rain means wet and AngelBoy just doesn't like wet. Mickey Kitty doesn't like rain and thunder either, but as long as he's in the house, he's okay. If it's storming while he's out on the screen porch, he starts to cry.... a pitiful meow-ing cry that reminds my husband of the morning when he found Mickey Kitty in the park. It was just such a pitiful meow that made my husband go searching in the wildflowers for that stray kitten. It will soon be a full year that we added Mickey Kitty to the cat family here.

Hard to believe that it's been an entire year since my husband brought Mickey Kitty home. I can still remember the look on my husband's face when he told me he found a kitten. He had been telling me for the longest time that three cats were more than enough, and he made me promise not to find any more kittens. So there he came last July, into the house with this tiny black kitten in the palm of his hand. Mickey Kitty still knows that it was my husband who found him..... my husband can't sit in a chair without Mickey Kitty jumping up and trying to either hug his leg or wrap his paws around my husband's head.

It's true what they say about animals..... they never forget their heroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home