Sprinkles

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Movies.....

At the suggestion of Sonny Seiler, the Savannah lawyer that we met while we were there in that beautiful city, we went to BlockBuster to rent a copy of "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil."

Sonny himself is in the movie, which is why he suggested that we see it..... he plays the judge in the trial of Jim Williams...... a quiet, reserved judge, much unlike the boisterous good-old-boy Sonny. And the law office in the movie--- The Armstrong House.... that's just where we were when we met Sonny, right in his office with all the memorabilia of Uga, the Georgia State University bulldog-mascot. It was amazing for us to see all of Savannah in the film, and we kept saying "We were there! We walked right there!"

True to my belief, however, the movie didn't measure up to the book. Does it ever? You just can't get inside the author's mind when you're watching the film version. You really need to read the author's words to "get it."

But we kept our promise to Sonny Seiler, and that's what counts. I mailed him a thank you note today, and told him that we saw the movie. I told him he did a grand job as the judge in the film. Honestly, though, he would've made a better Sonny in the film than the actor who played him.

I also sent a note to Muljibhai, thanking that quiet Tybee Island gentleman for talking to us about the benefits of a healthy life. I told him that we've been eating fresh foods and salads ever since we got home, which we have.

In tomorrow's mail, I'm sending a package to Willie... our new friend in Savannah who introduced us to Sonny. I'm sending him a jar of Texas-made apple-strawberry jam, and I also included a package of gourmet dog biscuits for his little puppy Susie.


This afternoon, we went to see "The Da Vinci Code" starring Tom Hanks. Very intense movie, but we were expecting that, since we both read the book. Again, the book was much better, and it gives you more of the history behind The Vatican than a two-hour movie can give. Tom Hanks was believable in the movie, however, and the script was nicely done. But very intense.... I had to shut my eyes during a few of the scenes.

Two movies in one week. I think we're done for a while. We don't go to the theatres very much.... not much out there worth the price of a ticket, and I'd rather be reading anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home