Sprinkles

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Grocery Shopping, Post-Rita

My husband and I went to the supermarket this afternoon. The shelves were half-full throughout the store. Lots of produce, but you could easily tell which items were pre-Rita, and which were post-Rita. Needless to say, the pre-Rita produce was just sitting there.

The store was relatively quiet, even though there were a lot of people walking around with shopping carts. Women were hugging friends, and asking how they fared during the storm, and everyone was asking everyone else how far they got along the Gulf Freeway as they tried to get past downtown Houston before the storm hit.

The supermarket is currently undergoing an update in their floor plan, so everyone had to walk through the store aisle by aisle to find what they were looking for. One woman turned to me and said that she couldn't deal with the confusion in the store after dealing with the confusion on I-45. I knew exactly what she meant, and when I told my husband what the woman told me, my eyes filled up with tears.

I know we're all okay, and our home is just fine, but when I let my mind wander and start thinking of what might have been, had Rita unleashed its full fury on Clear Lake, my eyes just puddle up with tears.

I've cancelled my piano lesson for tomorrow.... no sense in going, being that I haven't touched my piano in more than a week. My piano teacher was disappointed... not because I'd be missing a lesson, but because she wanted to discuss the storm. I don't want to discuss the storm, which was part of my reason for cancelling. By next week, everyone will feel better, and the storm will be further away in our memories. Hopefully.

All of my cats are just sleeping the days away since we got home... even Mickey Kitty, the baby cat. I don't think they slept well while we were up in Magnolia, and I guess they're making up for lost time. Same with me and my husband... we're sleeping soundly, not waking up till 8:30 or 9:00 every morning, which is very late for us.

While the cashier was ringing up our groceries at the supermarket today, she told us that yet another hurricane has just left the coast of Africa and is heading across the Atlantic. Oh goodie.
Maybe we should all start driving to Magnolia right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home