Sprinkles

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Wednesday Dinner Surprises......

We celebrated our 10th anniversary a day early today, with a dinner at our favorite restaurant. I had called Babbo Bruno's early this morning to reserve our corner table, and also to let the owners know that a special cake would be delivered to the restaurant in the afternoon.

There's a great bakery in Friendswood that makes delicious homemade cakes.... our friend A has ordered cakes from there for her holiday parties. And when my husband and I were driving around the other day, we just happened to pass by the bakery. So I got to thinking.... couldn't they make a carrot cake? (Which was what we had as our wedding cake ten years ago.) Well, they surely could make a carrot cake, and they surely could deliver it... which is what they did for me, as a surprise for my husband.

I didn't know that my husband had also called the restaurant (this afternoon).... to (also) reserve our corner table, and to ask Stefano if he could surprise me with a special dessert. Well, Stefano didn't have to whip up a dessert, since the cake I'd ordered was already there by the time my husband called. When I spoke to the owner's wife this morning, I told her to ask our usual waitress to take my husband's dessert order but just bring the carrot cake to the table instead.

Which she did... and when my husband saw our names on the cake, along with the number "10" inside a heart, and then I told him it was a carrot cake from me, he realized that I had over-surprised his own surprise. Which isn't an easy thing to do, since my husband is the master of surprises.

It was a delicious dinner.... and our "usual" waitress K even surprised us.... we ordered an appetizer tonight (which we don't often do) and as we were getting ready to leave, K told us that the crabcakes appetizer was her gift to us. What a sweet girl she is.... bubbly personality, so efficient, perfect manners.... she makes all of our visits there an "event," not just a dinner.

This has surely been an anniversay to remember.... the Thunderbird is the dream car and was the ultimate surprise, and I have a dream marriage and a dream life.

Sometimes I think someone should pinch me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home