Sprinkles

Monday, December 20, 2004

Multi-Task Monday

Don't you love how men think they invented the concept of "multi-tasking?" Women have been multi-tasking since Eve had that apple in one hand and a rake in the other, all the while keeping an eye out for snakes.

Today was my first trip to the supermarket since before our Christmas party. Finally... I have bananas in the house again. My husband came with me, being that there was so much on the grocery list. Between everything we needed for Christmas dinner, plus the regular weekly stuff, and cat food and cat litter and paper products.... the shopping cart was filled to the brim.

Grocery shopping isn't exactly my favorite thing to do. Far from it. And during our little excursion, my husband found out why. Between shopping carts that go their own way as soon as they're half-full, and shoppers on cell phones either talking at the top of their lungs or not paying attention to where they're going, and shelf-stockers putting bread cubes for stuffing in the frozen food section instead of the bread aisle.... and why is that, my husband wanted to know. "Welcome to my world," I told him.

After I wrote out the check for the groceries, I asked my husband to guess the amount we spent in that store. His guess was $140.00. Not even close. We bought a turkey breast for Christmas day, plus I bought fresh oysters and salmon, cat food and litter, breakfast and baking things, lots of paper products and household cleaners, extra soda and beverages for company, lots of salad stuff and vegetables... the total was $217.00. On a normal shopping trip, I usually spend around $80.00, so I didn't think today's bill was all that high. My husband, however, was shocked. I wasn't surprised at his reaction, since he doesn't go to the supermarket that much. Considering that I got all we needed for the next 10 days or so, plus everything for Christmas dinner, that $217.00 wasn't all that high. When I think of what I used to spend up in NY for groceries, as compared to what we spend here, I have no complaints about Texas prices.

I got a nice little surprise in the mail from my young friend L up in New York. L is A's niece, and she was here visiting this past summer. We introduced L to my young friend C, and the two girls hit it off and had a nice time together in August. We're all hoping she comes back for another visit next year. Anyway, L sent me a very nice necklace... a silver chain with a silver "L" dangling from it. The "L" initial is all done in rhinestones and it's very sparkly and pretty. A fun necklace for sure, and a nice surprise in the mailbox. I had mailed Christmas gifts up to L a few weeks ago, and told her to open them up early so she could enjoy them, which she did. A little bit of Christmas here, there and everywhere.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home