Sprinkles

Saturday, October 30, 2004

"Death by Desserts" Saturday Night

It is 6:00 as I type.... everything is set for the party and our friends will be getting here around seven o'clock. Without fail, every time we have a party, I ask myself "Now wouldn't it be something if everyone forgot all about it and no one showed up?" So far, that hasn't ever happened.

I have Groucho Marx masks for the men tonight-- you know the ones with the black eyeglasses, the bushy eyebrows and the mustache underneath the nose. In a fit of silliness this afternoon, I took one of those and put it on one of my Victorian lady statues-- the one that's way on top of the bookshelves in the living room. She looks hilarious-- so let's see who notices her first.

The temperature today was near to 100 degrees. Very hot in the sun. I was finished with all the cleaning and setting up around 3:00 and I sat outside in the sun for a few minutes. Actually, I fell asleep for about 20 minutes... didn't sleep well last night and I needed that nap so I wouldn't be yawning tonight.

My "costume" is both nice and ridiculous. Who else in the world wears black stockings and red shoes besides Minnie Mouse? And that's who I am for the night. Black skirt, red/pink/white polka-dot blouse, official Minnie Mouse ears (complete with polka-dot bow) from DisneyWorld. And of course-- black stockings and red shoes. I laughed out loud when I looked in the mirror. I found a wide red belt in my closet, to complete Minnie's look. As I said... only for a Halloween party would this outfit work.

My husband is wearing one of his Hawaiian shirts and a pair of shorts. He's either a lost member of the Beach Boys or "The Birdman of Clear Lake" (since that wild shirt has birds all over it). Hopefully, he will put some shoes on before our friends come, or I'll have to be extra-careful not to let Minnie's red high-heels catch one of his bare toes.

The cats are all in the screen-porch and have been there since noon. I fed them just now... their special treat of Fancy Feast canned cat-food, which they love... so maybe they'll forgive me for making them stay in the porch all afternoon and through tonight. Gracie is in the laundry-room, and I put a folding gate by the door so she can see out into the kitchen. Every few minutes, I hear one lonely bark.

That's about all I have time for. I've got to get the coffee-urn going. It makes 42 cups of coffee. Between all of that caffeine, and all the chocolates and desserts that will soon be on my dining room table, we should have one interesting game of Charades here tonight.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home