Sprinkles

Sunday, July 15, 2018

It’s all in the name...

Through all the years we have had cats, every single one of them learned their names and came when I called them.  At one time, we had four cats... if I called one’s name, just that one would come running towards me. If I wanted two of them, then I had to call out those two particular cats’ names.

So here I am with the two new kittens.... Peaches and Spats.  The name Peaches fits the cream-colored kitten perfectly. However, the name Spats was just not working for the gray kitten with white paws. Too harsh a name for this sweet loving little soul, and every time I said that name it sounded as if I were spitting.

For the last hour, we have been tossing different names into the mix... everything from Elvis to Einstein, from Spats Domino to Manilow, from London to Sherlock, and a host of little-boy names like George, Harry, Gabriel, William.... and then my husband came up with Julius.  A long-ago neighbor of mine had a son named Julius.... the sweetest, kindest little boy you ever met. And I am sure his personality is the same now as an adult. Julius somehow works for this kitten... more distinguished than the name Spats, easier on the lips and the ears.

I just went into the kittens’ room.... I sat on the chair in there and looked at the gray kitten and said Julius... Julius.... Julius.  The kitten yawned... walked over to my chair and reached his paws up towards my knees. I picked him up and he rolled over on his back and looked at me upside-down. Julius. It is just the perfect name for this tiny bundle of kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home