Sprinkles

Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday the 13th

I never did believe in lucky or unlucky numbers, and I am not a superstitious person.  And if anything at all needs to be said about numbers, then I would say that yesterday was a lucky-number day because more students signed up for The Magic Wand Book Club.... there are now 35 students in the Book Club.  I was, and still am, pleasantly surprised.  And now I am sort of hoping that the total number of students does not get any higher because our group is tolerable and manageable just as it is.

I can already tell who the real book-kids are.... they are respectful of the school’s library where we meet, they are careful with the books and bookmarks, and they are following my suggestions for their Book Journals. I think a few of the students may have joined just because their friends did, or because they have nothing else to do after school.  Those students will not be getting their ‘magic’ wands anytime soon, at least until I know for sure that they will stay with the group for the entire term, and make a worthwhile effort with the book selection.

Four of the students got their wands yesterday, based on the books they chose to read last week, and also based on their behavior during the book club hour. The kids were thrilled to be the first four, everyone clapped for them after they chose their wands, and we all said the club’s motto out loud and together—- “The magic is not in the wand... the magic is in me!”  It was a stunning moment, to be sure.

Corey drove up here today to pick up her kitten Sadie.  After a week of kitty-sitting, the TV room seems empty without that four-pound ball of fluff, and I did like having a little cat here who reminded me of my AngelBoy cat of years ago... but Savannah was clearly not happy with having the kitten here.  Sweet Pea was fine with the kitten when the original shock wore off after the first two days, but I do believe that our Sweet Pea prefers to be the one and only cat.

All is back to normal.... Savannah is on her sofa in the TV room and Sweet Pea is on my lap.... and there aren’t seventeen kitten toys scattered on the carpeting.  But.... Corey and Sadie may come back up here for the Halloween party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home