Sprinkles

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Officially fixed....

I took Satchmo to the vet's today, for fixing and chipping. Our poor little puppy was not too happy when the technician carried him into the back room, and I heard him barking for me when he got back there. ("Wait a minute! I'm with her!")  It was hard to leave him there this morning, but he only had to stay at the clinic till 3:30 this afternoon.

Since then, Satchmo has been very sleepy and groggy. He was a gentleman in the vet's office, not peeing on either me or the floor when they brought him out to the front desk. My little Satchmo waited till he got outside in the grass and then he let loose, as if he had been drinking water by the gallon since this morning.  When I got him in the car, Satchmo curled up in my lap and stayed there for the drive home.

I'm sure that Savannah missed Satchmo this morning because when I took her for a walk after lunch, she seemed to be searching the yard for him, and she was definitely not happy to be in the yard without her tiny buddy. When I walked into the kitchen with Satchmo this afternoon, Savannah came out of the TV room with a serious look on her face, and then she saw the puppy on the floor and her mouth opened up into a big sloppy grin and she walked over to him and smelled him from nose to tail. ("Oh... she got you, too. I should have warned you.")

For the last few hours, both Savannah and Sweet Pea have been tip-toeing around Satchmo, and there was a point when Satchmo tried to navigate around the kitchen floor but he was too groggy to really stand up on the tile. As Satchmo started to melt into the floor, Savannah ran to him and used her nose to prop him up so he wouldn't fall flat on his puppy face.  Savannah is such a gentle old soul, and I think some sort of mothering instinct has come out of her since Satchmo joined our family.

It will be a quiet night, I'm sure.... Satchmo is in his crate now so I don't have to worry about him sliding on the floor in his current state of post-anesthesia..... and Savannah is watching him from the breakfast room... and Sweet Pea is sitting on a little table next to the puppy's crate and he's just watching the sleeping Satchmo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home