Sprinkles

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Saturday stuff...

Can't believe it's been so many days since I've written in here. I've been keeping up with my "A Puppy Named Savannah" blog, so that's been taking up a lot of time. Plus my books, and our Waldorf Wednesdays group which has turned into Tiffany Thursdays. And my booth in the antique shop in town, and letters and cards and eMails going out to friends and family every day... plus the house, and the laundry, and groceries, and the cats... everything just takes time.

Our tea party group has turned to crafts... a simple beaded snowman the first week (very easy), which led to beaded snowflakes (a bit more difficult), and I've got a box of other craft-y ornaments for everyone to try, and some of the other ladies have asked to have their own craft ideas put into the queue. I've asked everyone to bring some sort of shoe-box-sized craft box that they can use to organize materials and supplies, but one thing we all need for these crafts are our eyeglasses. (The most important accessory for any craft-minded person of a certain age.)

The weather here went from very mild to very cold, and now it's warming up again. As I type, my cousins in the northeast are getting pummeled by a blizzard. They already have more than two feet of snow on the ground, and it isn't supposed to quit snowing before daybreak tomorrow. One of my cousins on Long Island just eMailed me a photo of her backyard which is filled with snowdrifts that have just about reached the height of her fence. I sent her an eMail back which read "What's all that white stuff?"  (I'm positive she was not amused.)

A few days ago, my husband was driving on the main highway between here and the next town, and another driver tried to make a U-turn (on a main highway filled with twists and turns?!) and he slammed into the passenger side of my husband's car.  I was at the dentist that morning, which was a good thing, because had I been in that car, all of the damage was on my side. No one was hurt, thankfully, and the at-fault driver was very apologetic and concerned that a stupid move on his part caused so much inconvenience. My husband is driving a rental car now, truly missing his larger and safer vehicle, and it will be at least a couple of weeks before the insurance adjusters let him know if his car will be repaired or replaced.  When I asked my husband if he had any aches and pains after the accident, his answer was "The only pain is dealing with that other driver's insurance company."

During the recent cold days, I found myself questioning my sanity about getting another dog. Especially such a big dog. (Savannah weighs over 60 pounds now.) It seems the colder it is outside, the more Savannah loves it. She just walks and walks and sniffs and smells and I'm just there freezing and shivering in sweaters and a coat and gloves and boots, and if there's one thing I hate, it's the cold and the wind and having to go outside in such uncivilized weather.

I have to remind myself that Savannah is still a puppy (nine months old now) and she will have her puppy moments. But then there are the magical days when she goes outside with a purpose and takes care of her business quickly without paying attention to all the distractions out here in the hills. There are all kinds of wildlife out on these properties after dark, and I'm sure Savannah has sniffed out fox and raccoons and possums and coyotes and snakes and deer and heaven-only-knows-what-else. I try not to think about all of those critters because on any given night, I am outside waiting for her to 'visit' the grass and all I'm holding is a flash-light and a prayer that nothing vicious on four paws comes running out of the woods.

Savannah just walked over to my chair and as I type this, she has her head resting in my lap. Nine months old and 60-plus pounds, and still growing. She is a sweet and obedient dog, loyal to both my husband and myself, and she plays nicely with the cats and hasn't destroyed anything in this house except her own toys. What a great dog she is. I have to remember that on the next windy and cold night when I'm out there in the dark waiting for her to 'go' in the grass.

Life is good. Sometimes too busy, and most times I'm wishing for more hours in a day. But everyone in this house is happy and healthy, and that's what counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home