Sprinkles

Friday, January 01, 2016

Happy New Year

We didn't stay up last night to see the New Year come in, and I don't think anyone else up here in the hills did either. We've had a cloudy stretch of days here this week, no sun to speak of and very damp. Last night was no exception to that, plus we had some rain so that put a limit on the fireworks we usually hear at the stroke of midnight.

After not getting much sleep the night before last (Savannah was barking at some unknown critter outside) I knew that I'd fall asleep as soon as my head hit that pillow last night.  Not only were there no fireworks around here, but Savannah didn't bark at all last night and when I opened up my eyes this morning it was 8:45. I can't even remember the last time I slept so late. When I got downstairs, Savannah was still sound asleep in her bed and I literally thanked her for letting me get some sleep.

We had a last dinner with the big tree in the dining room tonight, and tomorrow I will start taking down the ornaments on that tree. I've packed away all the other Christmas decorations... with the silver tree going back into its box this afternoon. Love that 1950's silver tree... such a happy tree every year, filled with all vintage ornaments.

The gray/white stray cat has come back... he was out there meowing by the coop just a little while ago. He/she looks healthy enough, and doesn't seem to be thin or starving, and I have not fed that cat. I don't even leave food out on the porch now for Gatsby... if he's hungry, I put him into the garage and let him eat there. It's been so cold and cloudy this past week that both Mickey and Gatsby have been inside the garage rather than out in the yard during the day. I am not feeding that gray/white cat. I am not feeding that gray/white cat.

I looked at the calendar this morning and realized that this year is a Leap Year... not that it makes any difference one way or another, but it's just a point of reference.

I hope this year brings good things to my cousin P in Chicago... he's had an awful experience with a massive stroke and is still recovering. I spoke to him on the phone last week and it was heart-breaking to hear what's left of his voice. But it's a start... and we're all praying that P is soon back to his very active and creative old self. (And I'm complaining about a stray cat? Give me a break.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home