Sprinkles

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Ex Libris

I have become fascinated by bookplates.... who knew there were so many vintage designs out there in the book world?  (Pinterest knew, that's who.)

The Antioch Bookplate Company seems to have been the most popular back in the day when every serious reader would pick their own 'Ex Libris' ("From The Library Of") design and paste those little paper labels into their books.  "Back in the day" in this case translates to personal libraries filled with hardcover books, not softcover re-issues. (And certainly not softcover re-issues with pictures of the actors who are starring in the movie version of any particular book.)

I've looked through hundreds of bookplate designs... so many great choices--- who can pick just one? The Antioch Company isn't out there any longer (they were taken over by another company) but the vintage Antioch designs can still be found on eBay, and for much less money than if you chose a new company to create your own unique bookplate design.

Personally, I like the vintage designs, especially the ones with the library scenes.... I have ordered some of those on eBay.  Actually, I've ordered a lot of those on eBay, and expect to get them all by the end of next week.

I did some research on Google about bookplates... do they diminish the value of a hardcover?  Some say yes, others say no... some say the 'Ex Libris' labels add to the volume's history... others say that once your bookplate goes into the book, then you cannot 'gift' that book to another reader.

As usual, I beg to differ.  Somehow, having a book with someone else's bookplate adds to the history of the book.... and you can always add your own bookplate to the volume.  I don't often lend my books out, but when I do, it would be nice to have them marked with my 'Ex Libris' label as they go out the door.

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of the vintage labels... and then I'll be upstairs in my library, deciding which books deserve a vintage Antioch bookplate.  (All of them.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home