Sprinkles

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Happy feet!

We had a bunch of errands in College Station yesterday, the most important one being a stop at the DSW store. Heaven. Pure heaven. Substantial bliss.  My husband does not usually go clothes or shoe shopping with me. He has no idea what's in my closet, nor does he probably care.

Designer Shoe Warehouse. Picture this:  aisles upon aisles of beautiful shoes.... flats, sandals, wedges, and (sigh) heels. Glorious heels.  I miss wearing high heels every day.... it's just not possible out here because you can never tell when you'll have to walk on grass or gravel or dirt. I have a closet filled with high heels, but with an upcoming wedding to attend, I needed a certain color with some sparkle.

It's been a while since I'd been in DSW... probably since the last time we went to a friend's wedding. I took some time to try on shoes that I knew I wouldn't buy.... peacock-blue heels, bright pink and gold stilettos with bows at the toes.... gloriously beautiful shoes that were more like artwork than footwear.

The little town we live in does not have a shoe store, a fact that I did not take into account when I fell in love with this big old house.  There's a Walmart in town, but that doesn't even come close to being a shoe store.  And we do have a small department store in town, but their selection of shoes is limited to sneakers, flats, sneakers, wedges, sneakers, boots, and kids' shoes. Nothing fancy, nothing with flair, and certainly nothing with sparkles.

My husband waited in the car while I went into DSW. I headed straight for the heels and tried on at least two dozen pairs before settling on two choices. By that time, my husband got tired of waiting in the car and he came into the store.

"Look at all these shoes.... how do you even know where to find what you want?"

That's easy.... I just look at everything.

"Why on earth do women need so many choices?" he wanted to know.

Life is all about having choices, especially with shoes.

I showed my husband the two pairs that I'd picked out.... one sleek and patent-leathery shiny, the other soft and silky and sparkling.  I told him that I would have to buy both pairs.... both would go with my dress for the wedding, but if it happened to be a rainy day, the satin sparkle heels would stay home in the closet and I'd wear the patent-leather heels instead.

"Who in the world even thinks like that?  Do women get shoe-training in school or is that an innate gender-specific characteristic?"

I stood there with my two boxes of beautiful shoes and in a split-second I decided that no matter how smart my husband is, there's just no way on this earth that I could explain the importance of having appropriate shoes for every outfit in my closet.

Finally. After twenty years, I've found a subject that my husband knows nothing about: a woman's love of shoes. Glorious shoes. Heaven. Pure heaven. Substantial bliss.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home