Sprinkles

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Harrods

I've read books on the famous Harrods of Knightsbridge, and love the history of that huge store, so of course we had to go there.  From one tiny store-front, Harrods now has over four acres of selling space. And they do sell everything...... if it can be found anywhere in the world, you can order it at Harrods and they will not only get it for you, but deliver it to your door if you live over there.

As soon as we walked inside the store, we asked for a store guide... with so many departments, on so many levels, it would have been impossible to find anything without knowing which direction to head off to.  I was aware that Harrods would be expensive, but neither my husband nor I were prepared for such prices.  And I kept having to remind myself that the prices were in pounds, not dollars, which made them even more expensive.

We looked at a few of the luxury-item departments, and it was like looking at the Crown Jewels..... way off the charts in price, but also off the charts in beauty.  One of my favorite departments was "The Writing Room," an entire selling space dedicated to pens and stationary and desk accessories. Again, off the charts in the pricing..... but looking doesn't cost a penny.

The Food Courts in Harrods are quite impressive..... whatever food you can think of that's on this planet, you'll find it at Harrods... and if they don't have what you're wanting, they'll order it for you.  Plus, the Food Courts themselves were so rich with design and architecture that they were a feast for the eyes.  We didn't splurge on one of the cafes within the store, but we did get take-away lunches from one of their many Deli counters... all of which have ready-made gourmet foods.  We ate our delicious lunch that day on a sunny bench outside the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Now I can say that I've been to Harrods..... and I can also say that I'm glad I was able to find items from Harrods in the shops of Camden Passage, where the prices were more reasonable.  If (when) we go back to London, I'd want to go back to Harrods and look at more of their departments and merchandise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home