Sprinkles

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The birds and the bees...

Our barn swallows continue to build their nests around the porch. Two of the nests are condo-sized, as if the mama birds are expecting to hatch a dozen eggs instead of the usual three or four.  This afternoon, I rearranged some of the porch furniture so the chairs wouldn't be right under the busiest nests.... I'm already tired of washing bird-poop from the cushions and there are a lot more eggs that have yet to hatch.

The teapot-shaped bird house that was a gift from friend S.... a bluebird has already decided that a teapot bird house is just her cup of bird-tea, and a nest is being constructed inside the teapot. Totally adorable, from what I can see of it... just amazing how industrious those tiny birds can be.

The bees are already back, taking full advantage of all the blooming roses. I'm hoping there aren't too many bee nests buried in the blooms.... I cut a few roses the other day but I was careful to look before I cut, not wanting to surprise a family of bees or wasps that would sooner sting me than give up their resting spot. That old saying about stopping to smell the roses should come with a warning to be careful of bee stings.

I had such fun turning that old garden tub into a Fairy Garden..... so I've already started two more.  When I stopped at my booth at the antique shop today, I took out some cute little things that I knew I could use for the miniature gardens.  I've got one started in an old wood wine crate, and into that I put a very small wooden bench, with a button and fabric garden girl sitting pretty on the little bench.  Then I took a round tin bucket and filled it with mulch, and there's an iron chicken standing in that one, holding a sign that says "Flowers For Sale."  I'll keep looking for small thrift-store chickens for that one.

The possibilities are endless with a Fairy Garden. Plus, if you have any outdoor books by Mary Engelbreit, every page will give you decorating ideas, from large-scale to tiny mini-garden designs.  I'm just hoping that these miniature gardens don't encourage bees or wasps to take up residence.  Butterflies and ladybugs would be most welcome.... but I'll have to draw the line with the flying, stinging insects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home