Sprinkles

Sunday, July 28, 2013

"How much is that doggie in the window...."

I used to sing that old song in the 1950s when I was a kid...............     We went out to dinner last night with J and J, and we were all happy with ourselves for finding a great little restaurant (finally--- a gourmet restaurant in our own town!).   Then we drove into the 'downtown' area after we ate to listen to the Saturday night concert in the square.  The band was taking a break when we got there, so we walked around the streets, looking into the shops and just taking in the small-town atmosphere, which is alive and well in our little Hill Country town.

And what did we see........ a lady holding the tiniest little puppy with a red ribbon around his neck, a little red heart dangling from the ribbon..... just as cute as Cute can possibly be........ it was a tiny teacup poodle, the color of Kraft caramel candy.... her dog had three puppies..... she had sold the other two, this one was the last..... the cutest, the most lovable, the one with personality-plus.  And she was selling him for $750.  Ouch.  (Nothing small-town about that price.)

I just cannot, for the life of me, justify spending that much money on a tiny puppy when the animal shelters are filled with puppies and dogs who need a good home.  But this one was so cute...... so small... so perfectly adorable.  It looked like a tiny little honey-colored teddy bear.  Actually, my husband and I came up with the same name for that little puppy--- "Winnie The Pooh!"  (I resisted the urge to tell my husband "It's a sign!  A sign!  We have to get that little puppy now because we both came up with the identical name for it!")

But no...... not for $750.   I keep telling myself that $750 would feed a lot of stray puppies and dogs right in our own animal shelter in town, if I was wanting to write out a check for that amount of money.

Of course it was cute..... and it's small and would be easy to care for...... and Winnie The Pooh even licked my husband right on the nose last night (all puppies and dogs love my husband)........... but we said no.  Thank you, but no.  We came back to our senses before the night was over.

But I have that woman's name and phone number, just in case we lose our minds again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home