Sprinkles

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Charleston

One of the prettiest cities, without a doubt...... filled with houses from the 1700s and the 1800s.... lots of ornate embellishments on the homes--- wrought iron gates, columns, porches, shutters, statues...... definitely an architecture-lover's dream city.  We drove around most of the streets, walked along others....... and also walked through the Charleston Market.

My friend V suggested that I bring home a 'sweet grass basket' for myself, and believe me, I tried.  We looked at so many of them along the roads, in the market, in the shops.... even the smallest ones were expensive, and the ones I really loved were hundreds of dollars.  Did I want to spend that much money on a basket?  I know they're handmade, and the history behind the baskets is a story in itself, but still...... three or four hundred for a basket. I just couldn't make myself do it.   I've been searching on eBay for the Charleston sweet grass baskets, and sooner or later, I know I'll find a bargain there.

We stayed in a Bed and Breakfast in Mount Pleasant, just a bridge-drive away from the city......... very pretty house, filled with interesting artwork and collections, comfy over-stuffed furniture with pillows and lamps and paintings wherever you looked. Very nice woman and her husband..... full of suggestions on where to eat, what to see, what not to miss.  If we ever get back to Charleston, I'd want to stay there again.

Our first day in Charleston, we found "Bubba Gump's Seafood Restaurant" for lunch..... such a fun place to eat, filled with memorabilia from the movie, the waiters giving you "Forrest Gump" trivia before and after the meal.  I bought some souvenirs in their gift shop for my cousin F, who loves that movie.

My husband had a list of the must-see plantations..... and we spent three days going from one to the other...... Middleton, Magnolia, Boone, Pinckney, and the Charleston Tea Plantation.   Best one was Middleton, which had a lovely little restaurant for lunch, overlooking the beautiful gardens.   We walked and walked, and took a couple of carriage rides.......... gardens with statues and mazes, flowerbeds that were just so pretty, trails along the riverfront, hidden gazebos, original slave cabins that made my throat tight. So much history in Charleston and along its rivers.  As I do in all the cities we visit, I found books to bring home so I can do more reading.

On James Island, another bridge-drive from Charleston, we found the "Athens Restaurant" and it was like being back on Long Island at Lou's cafĂ©.  Wonderful Greek restaurant, family-owned, and the owner was there each time (he was giving me hugs and shaking my husband's hand............ felt like family!)--- the food was so delicious, the service so good, the atmosphere so welcoming.... we had three meals there in three days--- two dinners, one lunch.  The owner was so appreciative that he told our waitress to bring us free dessert.  Best Greek food we've ever had on a vacation.... best family-atmosphere in the restaurant, attention to detail was so over-the-top and appreciated... the best cheeses, the most delicious sauce, the best-ever homemade bread.......... I could have made a meal just on the bread, it was that good.  Everything we had tasted like there was a Greek grandma in their kitchen.  If that Athens Restaurant ever moves to our town here, I'm going to give away all of my pots and pans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home