Sprinkles

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Happy 100th!

My Aunt Dolly's 100th birthday was last week..... we saw her on her birthday-day, along with some of my other cousins.  Aunt Dolly was all decked out and looked beautiful, with sparkling shoes and pretty jewelry, a nice outfit in black silk...... and I gave her a silver-glitter birthday tiara with the number 100 inside a heart design. Aunt Dolly wore that tiara all day long and looked like the Queen that she is.

My cousin S cooked a big dinner for the family..... turkey and trimmings, and it felt like an old-fashioned Thanksgiving....... we all sat around the table, with Aunt Dolly at the head..... with all the family (well, not even half of the family, but enough for a party)..... it just felt like the old days in Grandma's house.

The day before that, my husband and I spent the day at Epcot and Disneyworld..... we got there early in the morning, saw new attractions that we hadn't seen before, re-visited our old favorites..... and of course watched the parades.  Once again, as soon as the "When you wish upon a star...." song started to play during the afternoon parade, I started to cry. Never fails............ you would think, after all these years, even knowing what to expect at those Disney parades, that I could hold myself together.

That song just breaks me up.  My dad used to sing that song every Sunday night when Walt Disney introduced his "Wonderful World of Disney" television show.  Jiminy Cricket would sing that song, and so would my dad........ and now when I hear that song, all I hear is daddy's voice singing it, and I go into what Oprah calls 'the ugly cry.'

Florida was hot, hot, hot........ hotter than it feels here in Texas............ but at the hottest parts of a Texas day, we're not out in the sun and feeling that heat.  And we're not watching Disney parades in the blazing sun here in Texas........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home