Sprinkles

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Downton Abbey"

Well, better to arrive late at the party than not to arrive at all....... (something Violet, the Dowager Countess might say).

When Downton Abbey began its series on PBS, two friends told me about it....... my friend A in North Carolina, and my friend H right here in town.  Tsk, tsk, said I...... who has time to follow such a series........ we were busy with the chickens and the cats and getting things settled with the house, which seemed to take a while............ moving from a very convenient city to a more secluded countryside did take some adjustments. Besides that, I had watched a similar PBS series years ago, "The Forsyte Saga," so how could anything new top that British offering.

"Downton Abbey" has topped it.

My neighbor across the road happened to get the first season of "Downton" via NetFlix..... she was hooked.  She remembered my fascination with anything British and asked if I'd like to watch the DVDs before she sent them back.  Gladly.  I think I took the first DVD because I needed a break from all the gardening we were doing in the flowerbeds here.

The writing, the cast, the characters, the fashions, the traditions, the scenery, the upstairs/downstairs staff, the Lords and Ladies and their daughters................ hooked, hooked, hooked.  My neighbor bought the complete set of Downton...... she watched it..... I watched it...... her daughter watched it.

I finished the last of the DVDs tonight, and I sat there on the sofa talking to the television "You are kidding me. Tell me that you are kidding me. That did NOT just happen."  Oh yes it did.  I called my neighbor....... and asked if I could come over to return her DVDs and talk about what I'd just watched. I had intentions of inviting her over for tea before the week was out...... but I just couldn't wait. I had tea in the house, but nothing baked.......... but I had to talk about the series.... all three seasons. So I invited myself over..... with an "Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook" for her, as a thank you gift.

And we talked..... the writing, the cast, the characters, the fashions......   I'm not giving any part of the story away here. If you haven't seen it, you must see it. If you've already seen all three seasons, then you must watch them again. The fourth season won't be shown till next year. I guess they're filming now, and waiting for 2014 for its debut.  Between now and then, I will watch all the DVDs again (and possibly again)........... I've already ordered myself all three seasons.  As well as another set for my cousin F, who knows British history and customs inside and out. She will love these programs..... and then we can discuss the characters, the writing, the fashions, the traditions.....

I don't want to give anything away, but I will say this............... Violet, the Dowager Countess..... she can say anything and everything, with a benign smile on her face that denotes wisdom with a precious hint of sarcasm.  Love, love, love "Downton Abbey."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home