Sprinkles

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Settling back in....

We have now seen both Yellowstone and Yosemite.  If I had to choose my favorite, I couldn't. It would be like comparing apples and oranges, as that old saying goes.

Yosemite had beautiful waterfalls, and unbelievable granite cliffs--- how does anyone climb way up to the top of Half Dome or El Capitan?  While we were in Yosemite, the only hiking we did was on nice and smooth paved paths.... more like walking than hiking.  And if it hadn't been for the four days of a head-cold that I had there, the walking wouldn't have bothered me.  As it was, I never did get to the top of the path to see Vernal Falls, but my husband did.  Even if I had felt well enough to get all the way to the top, I don't think I would have walked out on the bridge that was up there.... I don't need to get wet from a waterfall to appreciate its beauty.

I think everyone in this country should see at least one of our national parks.  When you're in the middle of all of that unbelievable post-card scenery, you realize just how minuscule we all are in the workings of the world.  All the petty complaints and grudges and judgments really don't matter at all in this world.  Places like Yellowstone and Yosemite.... they'll continue on long after anyone reading this (or writing this) is gone. Unless, of course, mankind becomes totally stupid and careless and decides that the national parks need to be shopping malls instead of preserved green-space.

San Diego was a lot of fun, between the famous zoo and Sea World.  "Old Town San Diego" was beautiful, and as authentically Mexican as you can get without crossing the border.  Sacramento was a nice little town, but everything there seemed to cater to either government workers or 20-somethings.  The B&B that we stayed at the night before we flew home was beautiful, but our own hundred-yr-old Victorian is better, in my humble opinion.

The Cedar Lodge was great, the Yosemite Lodge was so-so.  I'd go back to the first, but wouldn't stay again at the second.  If money were no object, I'd stay at The Ahwahnee. I just can't justify spending that much money on a hotel room when we're out of it all day long and just use the room at night when our eyes are closed.  Lunch or dinner at The Ahwahnee shouldn't be missed, though.

We were away for our 17th anniversary, in San Diego that night..... my husband found a Greek restaurant not far from the hotel where we were staying.  Delicious Greek food, wonderful family-owned restaurant.  We talked about our wedding dinner we had in the little NY cafe, owned by a Greek family, a very nice man who is no longer with us, who kept telling me "Will you get married already?  Get married and I will cook your wedding dinner for your friends and family."  And that's exactly what Lou did...... we think of him often, especially on every anniversary.

We flew Southwest..... from Austin to El Pasoo to San Diego, then from San Diego to Sacramento where we picked up the rental car that my husband drove to Yosemite.  Same flight-plan on the way home, without the San Diego stop.  No problems with Southwest.... no delays, no bumps, no surprises.  Thank you, Southwest, for the safe flights.

One funny thing during the flight home--- the flight attendants were going through the list of safety precautions, which we've all heard a thousand times and don't really listen to anymore.  At the end of the safety talk, the flight attendant said this: "To those passengers who paid attention to us just now, we thank you.... and to those of you who didn't even look up... good luck!"   Everyone on the plane just burst out laughing.

No matter where we go, no matter how beautiful the trip is, and we have been to some gorgeous places over the years.... it's always nice to put the key in our own back door and go to sleep in our own bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home