Sprinkles

Friday, February 25, 2011

Switching from red to green....

I don't know where the week has gone, but we're already at the end of it now. The day after our post-Valentine's lunch party, I took down all of the red and pink hearts, and the red and pink glassware..... everything is packed away in the Valentine boxes. The day after that, I took out the St. Patty's Day decorations.... green shamrocks, green glassware, the little shamrock tree that I made a few years ago. The living room and dining room look like another party is just around the corner, which it is. We will invite our friends back for a St. Patty's/Spring lunch before the end of March.

And then those green decorations will come down and go into the box..... and the Easter decorations will come out.... and so it goes. As each holiday box gets unpacked, I go through the decorations and take out the ones that have seen better days, the ones that came from long-ago yard sales...... I'm keeping just the best ones, and donating the others to the local thrift shop. I went through all the decorations before we moved into this house a couple of years ago, but it seems there's always something that can be passed along to the thrift shop.

My friend V and I have been eMailing one another, still catching up after all the years we hadn't been in touch. We're laughing at all the things we have in common still.... the same things that brought us together so many years ago are still part of us now. Neither she nor I can just sit and watch TV....... we need to be doing something else while we're watching and/or listening to a program. We both still like handcrafts, we both still love to read, and neither one of us likes to cook unless we have the time to really cook. We both shop all year long for birthday and holiday gifts, keeping the items in a closet till it's time to wrap them up for gift-giving. Her husband laughs at her for doing that, my husband does the same with me. V tells me that her husband is quiet and mellow, very mild-mannered and laid-back (ditto for my husband). She said her husband has a wicked sense of humor (ditto for mine also).

It is amazing to me that after all these years of not being in touch with V, we've come together again seamlessly and easily, without judgment or question. "Life just got in the way..." -- we both said the same thing almost at the same time in a phone conversation. That's another thing we always used to do-- we'd finish one another's sentences. Who knows why things happen the way they do.... life just goes along, and it is what it is. What you do with the time you have is what counts, and right now, we're both happy to have found one another again, and we're having fun catching up and going on.


One of the best parts of the lunch last weekend with the neighbors-- B brought me a little vase filled with yellow daffodils from her garden. They lasted all week... that sweet perfume filled the dining room, and somehow the aroma of those daffodils just smelled like the color yellow should smell like. That sounds crazy, but that's how it seemed. Makes me want to plant some bulbs out in the flowerbeds..... but then I think that the possums and raccoons and armadillos might just dig them up and eat them. I will have to ask B about that..... how does she prevent the local critters from destroying everything in the flowerbeds?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home