Sprinkles

Monday, January 17, 2011

"The King's Speech"

We escaped from the weather today... drove up to College Station to see the movie "The King's Speech," since it wasn't playing anywhere around here. (Anywhere? We have just one movie theatre in town-- if it isn't there, then it can't be playing anywhere else in town.)

When we walked into the theatre, the sky was grayish white and just plain drippy and cold. As we came out of the theatre, the sky was blue, the sun was shining and it was warm and Spring-like and we were taking our jackets off as we walked to the car. I told my husband that maybe we should have gone to the movies eight days ago.

But... the movie. Beautifully done, brilliantly acted, a breath of fresh air-- especially after having to sit through the coming attractions of the most horrible plot-less films that are being churned out by the Powers That Be in movie-land.

During the drive to College Station, I gave my husband a little bit of the background of Edward, Prince of Wales, and Wallis Simpson, and King George and Queen Mary. My husband seemed surprised that I was so interested in the Royal Family. Pardon me? Where has this man been? I've got at least 20 books on the Royal Family and the history of the British Monarchy. I watch all the documentaries on the Royals, and my cousin F and I are arranging the coming month of April around the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. (F and I have also conjured up at least 39 fictional, but totally reasonable, mini-catastrophies that could befall Camilla, which would prevent her from attending the Royal nuptials. Our apologies to Prince Charles, of course.)

But... the movie. Outrageously good, even if you aren't familiar with the British Monarchy. You are quickly drawn into the life of Bertie who is terrified that he must be King after his brother decides to abdicate so he can marry Wallis. (Such a stupid decision, even though hopeless romantics at the time thought his tossing of the crown (literally) to marry the woman of his dreams (give me a blessed break) was just the icing on the wedding cake of their own fantasies. (The abdication turned into a decades-long nightmare that was never totally forgiven by the successors of Edward or anyone else in the Royal Family.)

I thought my husband would be hopelessly bored by the movie, but by the end of it, we were both caught up in the angst of Bertie, and the wonderful friendship that blossomed between him and Lionel, his speech therapist.

The movie ended on such a hopeful note. Even though Hitler was about to change the face of Europe, you just had to smile for the King as he successfully delivered his speech that couldn't possibly have happened without the friendship and patience of Lionel.

For the life of me, I don't understand why the movie industry can't make movies like this all the time-- movies that make one think rather than cringe. (Shame on Hollywood, who promised that violent movies wouldn't be made after the senseless carnage of 9/11.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home