Sprinkles

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Saturday stuff...

The screen door that we love so much (because of its wonderful vintage-sounding squeak as it opens and closes) is now even better than before..... my husband put in new screening, and he painted it the bright happy green that W the handyman has been using to paint the wood frames of all the window-screens. My husband also added some cranberry-cherry trim around the new screening of the door. That old door looks new again, and it is positively delicious. (I'm beginning to use adjectives like Beverley Nichols.)

We've had some gorgeous days..... nearly 80 degrees during the day, dropping to 65 at night. That could all change quickly, if the weather wizards are correct. They said a cold front is coming in from the north (as if they ever come from the south?). If that happens, we'll go down to freezing during the nights, and no higher than 55 during the day. Yuckeroo to all of that. 55 degrees is just freezing.... I will be dressing in layers and hating every minute of it. (Everyone should have such infinitesimal problems.)

I spent two hours today organizing the walk-in closet where I keep gifts and wrapping paper and gift-bags. (And my husband would say For which year are you shopping now?) He can laugh all he wants...... but when it comes time for the cousins' birthdays, or Christmas, their gifts are in that closet, clearly marked, ready to be wrapped, boxed, and mailed. No last-minute shopping for me, thank you very much.

Our Miss C called me today to see what we were doing for Christmas. She wants to come here for the holiday, so it will feel like 'the old days.' Miss C is just 19..... does she really have any 'old days?' She's going to talk to her parents and see if they'll agree to spending Christmas up here in the Hill Country. We may also ask our friends K & B to join us. Usually, those two are off on one of their exotic vacations (such as Tibet) in December, but this year their trip is less exotic (Germany) and they're not leaving till March. So K & B will be in town for Santa this year and the Jolly Old Elf will not have to hire a donkey and a guide to find them in the Himalayas.

As I was organizing that closet this afternoon, I heard shotguns going off across the hills. One shot after the other.... breaks my heart, that sound, now that I know what it means. All this time, I thought someone was shooting just for target practice. (Such a city girl.) I truly had no idea that guns were being aimed at the beautiful elks and deer in the nearby game preserve. Someone should send that property owner a dictionary with the definition of the word preserve clearly marked.

My cousin F and I are already talking about the upcoming April wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. I have sent F one of my yard sale rhinestone tiaras and told her that even if she chooses to watch that ceremony in her pajamas, she must wear that tiara. She does not think I've lost my mind...... she is a royal-watcher of the first order, and knows enough about the Royal Family to write a book or two. She has already told the rest of the family not to bother her the week before the Royal Wedding, and certainly not on the day of the April 29th wedding. F will be watching every minute of the coverage, and probably taking notes. She is already going through her cookbooks and trying to decide what foods to make ahead of time so all she has to do is re-heat and microwave during the TV coverage of the event. About the only thing that spoils the upcoming ceremony is that Camilla will be in attendance. I told my cousin F that maybe her invitation will get lost in the Royal Mail. (Not bloody likely... said F.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home