Sprinkles

Friday, May 01, 2009

Curse of the laptop.

My laptop is still out.... it's sitting on my desk like a huge flat paperweight. Not a pretty sight. My husband has tried repeatedly to get it breathing again, but it still sits there. He thinks it picked up a virus. Funny thing is that my cousin F up in NY told me about a computer virus set to launch on the first of April (April Fool's Day). Of course I used my laptop that day.... was there ever a day that I didn't?

Every once in a while, I get to use my husband's computer. Oh goodie. This machine has a noisy keyboard.... my laptop's keyboard was silent. Typing on this machine is very distracting, with all this noise. They say you get used to the noise. "They" must never have used a quiet laptop.

I can only use this computer if my husband isn't using it..... which is only when he's out of the house, because he's always using this machine when he's home. (Now that is an age-showing little detail-- calling a computer a machine.)

It's also difficult to write in this room-- the desk is covered in papers, the room isn't my own (where is the floral wallpaper? where is all my pretty stuff?) and it's very disheartening to sit here at a desk that isn't mine, in a chair that is much too big for me. (I feel like little "Edith Ann" when I'm sitting here. (Unless I sit on the very edge of this big leather chair, my feet don't even touch the floor. How sad is that?!)

Worst of all.... I have to write/type on this computer only in little snippets of time.... my husband goes out the door to his office, and I rush in here to check my eMail and try to sign into this site so I can type something in this blog. It just never works. Case in point-- as I'm typing this, my husband is sitting on the sofa in his room here, waiting for me to finish up.

So maybe it's just time to finish this whole thing up, for the time being. Unless we (translation: he) somehow get my laptop back to working.... and I absolutely refuse to buy a new one-- that paperweight on my desk is less than two years old, for goodness sake. At the prices of laptops, shouldn't it last longer than that. Stupid machines. (There's that word again.)

Since the last time I typed in here, we've had a deluge of rain (two or three, actually, which flooded the downtown areas yet again) and the Swine Flu threat is closing schools all over the Houston area and The Powers That Be are telling everyone in Texas to stay out of Mexico. Yet another reason for us not to want to travel to Mexico.

"Dancing With The Stars" has begun again, so has "The Amazing Race" and "The Apprentice." I wish one of them would cancel because that's just too many hours of television. My pile of books-to-be read is piling higher and higher these days. I really should cut out "The Apprentice"-- I love Joan Rivers but her daughter gets me nuts.... but we like to watch the show because of the great photography of NYC.

My husband needs to use his computer...... I need to finish typing. Now that I've started, I'm on a roll here. Maybe I can get used to this keyboard after all. (Did ear-plugs come as an accessory with this machine?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home