Sprinkles

Monday, December 15, 2008

Yes, Virginia....

... there really is room for another Christmas tree.

I really need to stay out of the consignment/resale shop. I stopped in there today, to bring a shopping bag of items that I had taken out of the house, keeping with my one-thing-in/one-thing-out rule. The things I brought in were my things-out for last week's purchases at that shop. And that's when I saw the green tinsel tree, about two feet high, bright green-- the perfect tree for my Lenox ornaments.

The Lenox tree ornaments didn't make it onto the big tree this year-- they always seem to get lost on that big tree because of their delicate ivory color. Somehow, they just don't "go with" all the colorful glass ornaments and vintage lights. At our Christmas party this past weekend, our friend C gave us a Lenox ornament in the shape of a snowflake. She asked me to open the package when she gave it to me, so of course I put it right on the big tree so she could see it there... which reminded me of the shoebox in my storage closet filled with the other Lenox ornaments I've had through the years.

As soon as I saw that bright green tinsel tree today, I knew all the Lenox ornaments would look perfect on it. I used the snowflake from C at the top of the tree, for the star. All the others are arranged around the tree, which is weighted-down in a gold star-shaped box. (That box was from a yard sale-- I knew I could use it for something.) Those delicate ivory ornaments, all with the gold-tassels for hanging, look so pretty on that little tree, which is now a centerpiece on our dining room table.

Of course, the large light-filled star that was the centerpiece there had to be moved to the table behind the sofa in the living room, which meant that the angels that were on that table had to be moved to the bedroom.

And while I was in the consignment shop today, I had to buy another Santa because today's 20%-off discount was on anything that was square or had a square on it, and this Santa is climbing out of a square chimney. And then there was another Santa, a small round cookie-jar, with a gold square belt buckle... which is now the centerpiece on the table in the breakfast room.

So three new things came into the house today. According to my one-thing-in/one-thing-out rule, I have to give three things away, or bring three things to the consignment shop. I decided to go through my closet and take three blouses or sweaters that I haven't worn lately.... I will put those into the donation box. Three in, three out.... I never did specify just where the items had to come from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home