Sprinkles

Friday, December 12, 2008

Space Shuttle

While we were on our way towards the Gulf Freeway to drive downtown yesterday, the Space Shuttle Endeavour was piggy-backed on top of a Boeing 747 and flying low over Clear Lake. They were making their way towards Ellington Field, just a few miles north of us. I told my husband that they were flying slow and low so all the residents could get a good look at where their tax money is going.

It was amazing to see, and yesterday was a perfect day with a warm sun and blue skies. The 747 was so huge that the Endeavour looked like a toy. As we were driving on El Dorado, we pulled to the side of the road and stopped to watch as it went by, as did other drivers who noticed it. How could anyone have missed it?

When we got to the Gulf Freeway, the 747 was cruising slowly right in line with the freeway, giving all the drivers a good look-see before veering off to the right to land at the Air Force base. Of course, we didn't have the camera with us. It would have been a picture-perfect opportunity.


I've got everything just about set for tomorrow night's party. I was in the breakfast room re-arranging all the furniture, then I put it all back just the way it was in the first place. With all the floor-to-ceiling windows in there, my placement choices are limited. When I started setting up the tables in the living room, I realized that the table that usually goes near the fireplace can't go there for this party because that's where the band will be-- right near the fireplace. (Which will be filled with lighted candles, not burning wood.) So-- where to put that little round table? I decided that the best place for it is right in front of the door to the screen-porch. The cats will be in the porch (and not coming out till after the party) so after they're set in the porch in the morning, I can set up that table. If I need to get to them, I can just go around the back deck and go through the screen door. All these logistics at party-time...... the dog, the cats, extra tables and chairs.... somehow, it all just works.

Today is my husband's birthday. I surprised him with a new watch, which he loved. I had my fingers crossed with that one. He's very conservative-- not a sparkle of bling anywhere near him (not counting me), so I tried to find a watch similar to the old one he has, just more sophisticated and updated. Found the perfect one in Macy's a few weeks ago. My one foray into the Mall this year-- into the door to Macy's, and out without having to go inside the Mall.

Gorgeous day today... nice and warm this afternoon, and perfect walking weather, but I've been so busy I didn't have the time. I'm hoping that the temperature stays mild enough tonight to let the cats sleep on the porch so I can put the tablecloths on all the tables and arrange the centerpieces. If not, they'll just have to sleep inside tonight and I will do all the set-ups in the morning. All the centerpieces for the tables will be our own holiday decorations---- yet another pick-and-choose project, and re-arranging Christmas decorations.

Let's face it.... I will be arranging and re-arranging Christmas decorations from now till New Year's, what with the holiday lunches we have planned, plus Christmas day dinner. I should attach that pedometer to my capris and see how many miles I walk around this house when we're getting ready for a party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home