Sprinkles

Friday, December 07, 2007

Party Day Minus One....

Today is baking day..... two cakes-- one chocolate, one angel food. I was going to bake some cookies as well, but I don't think I will need them for the party. One of our friends just dropped off a cake that he baked this morning..... he's coming tomorrow night but will get here a little late because he has a dinner to attend first. Our friend J is baking Italian pastries for us, and I know that a couple of other friends are bringing sweet things, so I think I will just bake cookies for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner.

The weather has warmed up nicely, and the cats slept on the screen-porch last night, instead of in the laundry room. Which means that I had a good night's sleep-- rather than being woken up at 4:30 in the morning because ShadowBaby needs to make sure that I know he's sleeping on my pillow. I'm planning to keep Gracie and the cats in our bedroom/bathroom suite for the party tomorrow night..... this way, we can use the screen-porch as well as the rest of the house for the party. 36 people so far, and I know there could be more because some friends will bring other friends or family members. I will have to put something in front of our bedroom door tomorrow night so no one goes in there. Wouldn't they be surprised, to walk in there and be faced with Gracie and three little cats. I have my "free" books in a big basket by the tree... I think I will put that on a small table in front of our closed bedroom door, to keep everyone out of that side of the house. The basket has a little sign on it that says "Free to a good home."--- That's where I put all the books that our friends get to choose and take home with them.

My cousin L sent me a package the other day..... when I unwrapped it, I found a Santa dressed all in silver. Such a nice face on him, and a soft full beard.... very nice, and perfect for our silver Christmas tree. I didn't know she was sending him, and she had no idea that I have a growing collection of Santas, so it was a nice surprise. I will have to take a picture of her silver Santa standing in front of our silver tree, so I can show her what a great match it is.

Our friend and around-the-corner neighbor V stopped by last night..... she brought me 40 pajama sets and 63 books, from her office party----- she had asked everyone to bring in either pajamas or books for my Houston Chapter of Pajama Program. I knew she had asked everyone to do that, but neither of us had any idea how successful her request would be. They had tried to collect things for other charitable organizations in the past, with limited success. When V came by last night with the back of her car filled with boxes of pajamas and books, I was just very overwhelmed. I've already counted and sorted everything, and separated them into boxes that I can deliver to the children's agencies next week.

Our friend and pet-sitter is having a Pajama Drive at the school where he teaches....... the PJ Drive started this past Monday, and ends today. At last count on Wednesday, they had 70 pajama sets and over 200 books, so heaven only knows how many pajamas and books he will be bringing to me next week. He also asked me if I would visit the school next week to meet the kids and have a photo taken with the principal. I told him I would absolutely do that. These pajama collections are coming at a good time of the year, and I'm thankful for friends that have been so willing to get involved with this.

I need to quit typing and get into the kitchen. The house is all party-ready, except for the screen-porch which I will do tomorrow morning after I put the cats into our bedroom suite. It seems that I've been moving my poor cats from one side of the house to the other all week long, and keeping them away from the living room, dining room and breakfast room. If I could wave a magic wand, I'd give myself one more room in this house (for a Pajama Program office), and a little "cabin" out in the backyard so Gracie and the cats could stay out there when we have so much company in here.

But I really need to quit typing and get to baking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home