Sprinkles

Friday, December 14, 2007

Knee-deep in pajamas...

... which is a very good thing.

I was at a local elementary school this morning, to have a photo taken with the Safety Patrol group who helped the Coach collect and count all the pajamas and books the school collected for our Chapter of the Pajama Program. Over 100 pajamas, over 300 books..... that's an amazing number of items from a school filled with Kindergarten through fifth-grade students.

The Coach is our pet-sitter, who very kindly offered to organize a week-long Pajama Drive there. There were so many boxes of pajamas and books... no way for them to fit in my little car, so the coach will drive them here this afternoon when he's finished at the school.

I had brought one of those giant chocolate-chip cookies for the group of Safety Patrol kids... 20 of them will share the cookie which is decorated like a huge Santa face. By now, I'm sure, every crumb of Santa's face is gone, gone, gone. The kids squealed when they saw the cookie... apparently, not one of them had ever seen a giant Santa-face cookie before. Their squeals were delightful to hear.... and their enthusiasm was heart-warming. They asked me when I would like them to collect pajamas again. I told them that it was up to their Coach, the principal, and their parents. Truly, they enjoyed collecting all the books and pajamas and they're looking forward to the next time they can do it all again.

All those little kids..... so excited to be in school. Makes me want to go up to our own local elementary school and volunteer to be a reading tutor again. But there are just so many hours in a day, and I can't do everything at once. Plus, when I had mentioned wanting to tutor again once before, our own Miss C became very sad........ she was afraid that I would find another little girl to take her place. Even though I told her that there is only one Miss C in our lives, she was very worried. It is not my wish to worry that child. So I think I will just keep my time for the Pajama Program, and let someone else do the tutoring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home