Sprinkles

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bookopoly

I don't know how many versions of the "Monopoly" game have been made over the years, but I found one in a Signals catalog that looked interesting. It's called Bookopoly, and it's all based on books and reading. It seemed like a fun game, so I ordered one. Fun and educational, like Scrabble, so I couldn't resist it.

In Bookopoly, instead of buying properties, you buy books (the classics). On the back of each book card, there is a very short summary of the book and a little bio on the author. Instead of houses and hotels, you build bookstores and libraries. There are Knowledge and Explore cards, and instead of going to Jail, you are sent to Watch TV. Great game, especially for book-lovers. I wanted to sit there and read all the backs of those cards, but it would have taken too long while we were playing the game.

Miss C was here this afternoon, hanging out with us for a few hours, so the three of us tried out Bookopoly. It was indeed a lot of fun to play..... I was the first to lose everything--- and I had the two top books -- The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath (which are located where you would expect to find Boardwalk and Park Place).

We need to get a book-loving group together one night to play this game. I know everyone would enjoy it.... the book-lovers would, without a doubt.

Speaking of book-loving, my friend A was down here from the Pearland area, buying books at Barnes & Noble for her family. She stopped in for a look-see at our tree, and to wish us a Merry Christmas. I had made up a gift-bag for her but just never got the time to see her for lunch these past couple of weeks (too busy with all of those pajamas). A's holiday gift to me was a copy of "Made From Scratch," by Sandra Lee. She said it's a great biography. Another book on my to-be-read pile, which just keeps on growing.

Right now, I'm reading "Last Days of Summer," by Steve Kluger. This is definitely a laugh-out-loud book..... a series of letters written by a 12-year-old boy, and the letters he receives from everyone from baseball players to presidents. What a great book! Just what I needed when I finished reading "The Pillars of The Earth."

Oh well...... I was going to spend the day getting the house ready for Tuesday. The bathrooms got done, and all the dusting, and I decided what to use for the centerpiece on the dining room table.... an assortment of my Santas, along with red candles and silver branches filled with sparkling berries. I still have to do the floors, and get the dining room table set..... but tomorrow is another day, Scarlett.

How on earth can you lose Bookopoly when you own "The Great Gatsby" and "The Grapes of Wrath?!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home