Sprinkles

Friday, February 09, 2007

Party Night Minus One

I think this is the second time I've sat down today, the first being for about an hour earlier this afternoon when I listed some things on eBay. I needed a break from all the party preparations, and eBay seemed like an easy, mindless thing to do for a little while.

The house is all decked-out and ready.... hearts (red, pink, white and purple) are all over the living room, dining room, breakfast room and kitchen, with a few in the powder room and foyer as well. I re-arranged some of the furniture in the living room and now there's a round table near the fireplace and an oblong table by the sofa. Plus the end tables, and the breakfast room table. There will be 26 of us tomorrow, and I wanted to make sure that everyone had a comfy place to sit and eat. The dining room table will be filled with food, so no one will be sitting around it to eat.... just walking around it to fill their plates. Somehow, it always works out, but I thought I'd try the different arrangement with the tables. I wish I had remembered to go out and buy those large heart-shaped balloons for the front walkway, but I didn't think of it till just a little while ago, and I'm not going to start searching for them now.

My husband is in the kitchen now, mixing up a batch of oyster dressing... his contribution to the pot-luck dinner table. I'm making a green bean and artichoke casserole tomorrow, as well as stuffed rolls filled with turkey and swiss cheese slices. I might make another casserole... I'll decide on that tomorrow. You never know with these pot-lucks... I want to make sure there will be enough food on the table. We always seem to have more than enough desserts, so I've learned over time not to make anything sweet for these Charades parties.

Our newest friend and neighbor J phoned me this morning to tell me that she can't come tomorrow night... she has bronchitis and laryngitis and she's taking antibiotics for both. She was looking forward to tomorrow night, but now she's afraid of getting everyone sick, which of course we can understand. I have her gift bag here on my desk, and we'll bring it by to her on Sunday, along with some of the left-overs from the dinner. I told her that we'd have her over to dinner as soon as she was feeling "less toxic" (as she called it) so she can meet our friends K & B and R & C. We were going to introduce them all at the party, thinking that J would especially like K and R, since they're very artistic, as J is herself. So it will all work out at a later date.... and probably better, because at a smaller dinner party, J can really talk to and get to know those friends of ours.

The fuss and bother in front of the Space Center has died down... the trucks and camera crews are gone from the front gates, but I'm sure there's at least one still in front of the home of that female astronaut. I still shake my head over that story... to throw one's life and career away in a moment of anger and revenge. How very sad, not to mention very stupid.

The news is still preoccupied with the death of Anna Nicole. Today's autopsy report ruled out some things but didn't pinpoint others. It will be weeks before a final statement is given to the press, I'm sure. This story makes me wonder if people in other countries are shaking their heads over the "status" given to American celebrities. More people seem to be concerned about Anna Nicole's life and death than the plight of starving, homeless children in Africa. Or starving, homeless children right here in this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home