Sprinkles

Friday, December 22, 2006

Radio City Rockettes in Houston

It's 8:00 as I type.... we have just returned from bringing our two favorite teen-aged girls back to their homes after our trip downtown. The four of us went to see the Radio City Christmas Show at one of the downtown Houston theatres, followed by an early dinner at a local Chinese restaurant after we got through the rush-hour traffic coming back towards home.

Great show, and then some. The girls hadn't seen the Rockettes before, so it was a real treat for them. My husband and I have seen the Christmas shows at Radio City Music Hall when we were younger and lived up in NY, so it was a nostalgic trip down "memory lane" for us both. And, being true to my sentimental self, I had tears in my eyes during parts of this afternoon's matinee...... thinking of my dad taking me and my sister to see the Rockettes.

Beautiful costumes...... only 18 Rockettes in the line......... as compared to about 38 or 40 Rockettes when they perform at Radio City, which has a much larger stage than our theatre here. The Wortham Center has a larger stage than the Hobby Center, which makes me wonder why they chose the latter theatre for the Rockettes. Of course, when you see the Christmas show in NYC, Radio City Music Hall has a huge symphony orchestra down in that pit in front of the stage. Hobby Center doesn't have that, so the music was either recorded or the musicians were backstage.... no way of telling, because they didn't announce the musicians.

Still, it was a great show, much appreciated by the Houston audience, most of whom probably have never been to NY to see "the real thing." Both C and L seemed to enjoy every minute of it, and that was the best part. The gift shop in the lobby of the theatre had Christmas tree ornaments with three Rockettes kicking up their heels, so we bought one for each of the girls, and one for our own tree. A nice memento of the day's adventure.

I was going to get to Kroger tonight to do grocery shopping for Christmas day, but after such a busy afternoon and then the dinner out, I don't much feel like pushing a shopping cart around the supermarket tonight. Plan B: we'll go tomorrow morning..... early, I hope, before it gets too crowded with last-minute shoppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home