Sprinkles

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas Soup

Today was the day for me to try making a new soup that we plan to serve with Christmas dinner..... Crab Artichoke Parmesean Bisque. My husband and I bought containers of that homemade soup in the downtown "Whole Foods Market" a couple of weeks ago. Delicious soup, and it was a cold and rainy day when we had that for lunch (right in the market) so it tasted especially good.

So here we are, two weeks later, with sunny 80-degree temperatures, and I'm making soup. Which is fine with me.... I love soup, especially ones that don't come out of a can. I figured that the soup shouldn't be too hard to make, being that we knew the three main ingredients-- crabmeat, artichoke hearts, parmesean cheese.

I started by making my basic soup base, the same as I use for the crawfish bisque (that I started making after we had it in one of the local seafood restaurants). You take diced onion and let it get lightly brown in a little bit of butter.... then I added about 1/4 cup of finely diced carrots (they had carrots in the Crab Artichoke Parmesean bisque)...... after those got all nice and happy, I added a bit more butter (which I hate to use, but there's no substitute for the real thing), then I added three spoons of flour and let that cook for a couple of seconds. Then I poured in the "new" milk that we've been buying: Organic Fat Free 1% milk (delicious). I can't even tell you how much milk I used.... I just know how full my soup pot should be after I pour in the milk.

The milk has to come to a slow boil, then it thickens, with those onions and carrots in there. To make this soup extra-thick (which is how it was in the Whole Foods Market), I let a small red bliss potato cook in the microwave, then I took off the skin, mashed up the potato, and added it to the soup.... along with about 1/3 cup of grated parmesean cheese. I didn't even add salt and pepper because the cheese has salt, and the artichoke hearts have spices already added.

Now for the good parts.... I didn't have crabmeat in the fridge, so I used a can of whole baby clams.... I cut them up into teeny pieces. Then I took about six artichoke halves (the kind that comes in those small jars with oil)..... I drained those and chopped those up into teeny bits and into the soup they went. I let the soup cook slowly for less than half an hour... and taaa-daaaah! Delicious........ really a nice, thick, Christmas-day-worthy bisque.

Young Miss C was here this afternoon (she had just half a day of school today) so she tasted it and loved it also. My husband has meetings this afternoon, so I'm anxious to see what he thinks about it. For Christmas, I will make sure to have real crabmeat in the fridge, because that will give it a richer flavor than the baby clams.

We're having a seafood menu for Christmas dinner..... mussels with pesto sauce, then the crab/artichoke/parmesean bisque, then crab/salmon cakes. C's mom is making garlic bread to go with the mussels, and potatoes with feta cheese & artichoke hearts to go with the crab/salmon cakes. R is making a vegetable casserole to go with the main course, and she's also making a fruit chutney for the crab/salmon cakes. My husband will make his plum pudding for dessert, and I'll bake a pumpkin pie (or I may bake Greek cookies, if I have the time).

Speaking of Greek cookies.... my Greek-cookie-friend F up in New York reminded me how upset I was when our local supermarket had decided not to stock frozen phyllo dough. How right she was. I promised F that I would have a better attitude when I go grocery shopping. I promise not to say "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it." I promise not to complain that there are hundreds of varieties of cheese and thousands of kinds of breakfast cereal.

But do I really have to stop complaining that it takes 54,357 steps to get from one side of a Kroger to the other?

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Bob said...

I read about a natural fat replacement ingredient called Z Trim on page 90 of the book “You on a Diet” by Oprah’s doctor, Mehmet Oz. I ordered off of the Z Trim web site and have been cooking with it for a few weeks now. It works and its easy. It lowers calories by replacing portions of the oils, butter, and other fats. It also adds fiber to foods, because it basically is corn fiber made into a gel that works like fat in most cooking. They say it is undetectable, and that’s true. My cooking tastes like it always did. I’ve lost some weight, slowly. It’s a sensible approach and its natural. I eat what I want; it tastes as good as it always did, and I’m finally “right-sizing” my body. A total win-win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home